Motivational Interviewing for Healthcare Professionals- Online Education
Registration opens in early 2014!
To register go to www.regonline.com/CUMotivate
Course Overview:This online series of courses will provide an in-depth understanding of Motivational Interviewing (MI) as an evidence based approach to support health behavior change. A health care provider's skill in recognizing patients' readiness, barriers, and motivation for change is essential to improving health outcomes. Attendees will participate in practice exercises and participatory learning experiences, and leave the course ready to try MI in patient encounters. Access to an interactive website for follow-up networking and peer support is also included. Now aligned with Motivational Interviewing 3rd Edition!Target Audience:All health care professionals who work directly with patients will benefit from this program. This includes registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, physicians, physician assistants, pharmacists, dentists, and others who work with clients on issues related to health promotion and/or chronic illness.Learning Objectives:Upon completion of all three courses, the participant will be able to:
- Articulate reasons why traditional methods used to change behavior don't work and list methods people use to change.
- Adopt attitudes and behaviors that are helpful in facilitating behavior change.
- Review the stages of change for health behavior and contrast helping techniques that are effective for different stages.
- Identify self-motivational statements made by patients and respond in a way that increases their "change talk".
- Apply specific techniques to raise or lower intensity that enhance clients' engagement.
- Summarize research about non-cognitive influences on behavior and respond effectively with difficult patients.
- Plan next steps for application of MI and future professional development with this approach.
- Integrate information about MI in a way that is useful for practice.
Paul Cook, PhD
CU College of Nursing
Laurra M. Aagaard, MA, MS
Professional Research Assistant & Program Manager
CU College of NursingCounselor
cme credits online, distance learning, continued medical education, continuous medical education, continuing medical education online, continuing medical education credits, continued medical education conferences, nursing education online, nursing continuing education, behavior change, difficult patients, continuing education for healthcare professionals, education for nurses, cme for physician's assistants, dental, physician, healthcare provider, change, webinar courses, courses in nursing education, researcher interviews, patient change, online courses, health courses, health and social care courses, online healthcare courses, online healthcare classes, motivational interviewing video examples, motivational interviewing in nursing practice, patient interactions, improved outcomes, patient improvement, data sets, research techniques, research subject interviews,