Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado College of Nursing

College of Nursing

Master's Programs FAQs

Find Answers Here

Have a question about the College of Nursing graduate programs? Review our frequently asked questions below to find the answer.

General FAQs 


Financial Questions


Admissions and Academic Questions 


Accreditation and More Information 

24. How and where do I get my nursing accreditation?
25. Where can I get more information about the nursing programs?

1. Why should I earn my MS in nursing degree?
The master of science degree provides the opportunity for advanced study in selected areas of nursing science, professional foundations and specialized professional nursing practice and leadership. Return to top


2. Why should I consider a nursing program at the Anschutz Medical Campus?
The College of Nursing, founded in 1898, created the country’s first school nurse programs and the first nurse practitioner programs in the world. Faculty in the advanced practice specialty options maintain clinical practices and are certified in their specialty areas. The college touts the use of innovative, multi-disciplinary curriculum, numerous national rankings and real-world experience through multiple clinical placements. In addition, the program employs teaching and clinical instruction supplemented with simulation technology. Return to top


3. Do I have to decide on a specialty option when applying?
Yes; determining what you’re passionate for now will likely bring you a more fulfilling career in the future. Research your particular area of interest, then talk to an advanced practice or leadership nurse in the area to ensure that you truly have a passion for that particular specialty. When applying, cater your essay to appeal to the faculty within your specialty option. Return to top


4. How much does it cost?
The program will cost approximately $25,000 for in-state residents (calculation based on 48 credit hours). A current schedule of tuition and fees is available on the Bursar's Office tuition web page. Return to top


5. How do I establish residency to receive in-state tuition?
Students must live in Colorado 1 year to receive in-state tuition. Please see the registrar’s page for more information. Return to top

6. Can I receive financial assistance?
Yes. Numerous scholarships are awarded to new and continuing students by the College of Nursing and outside organizations. You need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Contact the Financial Aid Office on the Anschutz Medical Campus at 303-724-8039 located in Education 2 North, 3rd Floor. Return to top


7. How competitive is the admission process?
Depending on the specialty option, the selection process can be competitive. For the advanced practice specialty options we receive about 6 applications for every student seat. Return to top


8. What is considered in the admission’s process?

Evaluation committees make decisions based on the following:

  • the cumulative college grade point average (at least a 3.0) for all attempted undergraduate college work
  • the grade point average of bachelor of science degree in nursing course work
  • a personal essay
  • letters of recommendation.

Return to top


9. Is the GRE required?
No, but if your cumulative grade point average is below a 3.0, the GRE is required by the Graduate School. Return to top


10. How long will it take to complete the program?
Most students successfully complete the program in 2 to 3 years, but it depends on your chosen specialty option and your life commitments. However, you will need to complete the programs within 5 years. Return to top


11. Can I work during the program?
Depending on the specialty option, you may be able to work either part time or full time. If you are interested in an advanced practice specialty option, your ability to work may be limited due to the clinical component. Please view question 13 for more information on clinicals. Return to top


12. Are classes offered online?
There are four core courses and health promotion offered online. All other courses are only offered on campus. For those students who are applying from rural communities in Colorado, we do offer our specialty courses via ITV. This option is only available for students outside the 7-county metro area. Return to top


13. Are there clinical requirements?
Yes; all nurse practitioner specialty options have clinical requirements. If you are in the Denver metro area, we will arrange clinicals for you. If you are in a rural area, outside of the metro area, you are required to find your own clinical placements. Please note that clinical placements are Monday-Friday. We do not offer weekend clinical placements. Students must be flexible with their schedules to accommodate clinical placements. All clinicals must be completed in Colorado. Student should move to Colorado to complete this portion of the program.

There are no clinical requirements for i-LEAD or Health Care Informatics programs. Return to top


14. What are the prerequisite courses for the MS program?
There are two required courses needed for admission: a research course and a statistics course. Both must be completed with a grade of C or better at regionally accredited institution. Return to top


15. Do I need a RN License?
Yes; At the time of application, you will need to submit a copy of your RN license. Depending on the specialty option, once you are accepted, a Colorado RN license will be required for clinical purposes. Return to top


16. Do you have TOEFL and/or TSE requirements?
If your primary spoken language is not English, you will need to submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores as part of the application process. Return to top


17. How do I apply?
You should review the complete admissions information on the College of Nursing website and choose the specific graduate program you are applying to before beginning the application process. Our application is completely online. Return to top


18. When do I apply for the program?
Please check the application deadline page to view deadlines. All parts of your application need to be submitted by the deadlines listed. Return to top


19. Where do I send my transcripts?

You will need to send one copy from every college or university attended, regardless of the year, course, or institution. To be considered "official," transcripts need to be sent (mailed or emailed) directly from the institution to the CU College of Nursing. You may have your institution e-mail the eTranscripts to: or mail them to the address below:

Office of Student Affairs & Diversity University of Colorado
College of Nursing C288-6
13120 E 19th Ave.
Aurora, CO 80045 Return to top


20. How do I know when my application is complete?
An application processing team member will e-mail you when your application is complete. Return to top


21. My recommender is having trouble submitting a recommendation, what should I do?
If your recommender did not receive an e-mail, you may send the following form to him or her:
MS Recommendation Form.pdf

Your recommender may e-mail this form to, or fax it to 303-724-1710, or mail it to the address below:

Office of Student Affairs & Diversity University of Colorado
College of Nursing C288-6
13120 E 19th Ave.
Aurora, CO 80045 Return to top


22. When will I receive my admission decision?
If you are applying for fall term, you should receive an admission decision in April. If you are applying for spring term, you should receive your admission decision in September. Return to top


23. Regarding letters of recommendation, what is an academic reference?
An academic reference refers to someone (professor, instructor, advisor, mentor) who can speak to your academic readiness, preparation, and achievements. He or she does not need to be in the nursing field. Return to top

24. How and where do I get my nursing accreditation?
Proof of nursing accreditation from the awarding institution(s) where you received your nursing degree is required. The nursing accreditation information must show accreditation at the time you were awarded the degree.

There are 2 accrediting bodies for nursing programs, the CCNE (Commission on Collegiate Nursing Educations) and the NLN/NLNAC (National League of Nursing Accrediting Commission). Please access the links to find accreditation information for your appropriate nursing program. If you do not find the information on the web pages, please contact the school directly and have a school official send the College of Nursing an email with the nursing accreditation information.

Return to top


25. Where can I get more information about the nursing programs?
Attend an information session. At the information session, you will be able to meet with faculty and current students, tour the campus, and ask admission and financial aid questions. You may also email a student affairs specialist who can answer questions. More information is located on this pageReturn to top