The Latest and Greatest
- Paula Meek, PhD, RN, FAAN, was selected by WIN to be the 2019 recipient of the Distinguished Research Lectureship Award.
- Professor and Endowed Chair Michael Rice, PhD, was inducted into the Western Academy of Nurses (WIN) during its 2019 Conference. In addition, the American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA) awarded Dr. Rice the 2018 Award for Distinguished Service. Highlights of Rice's accomplishments include serving on the APNA Board of Directors for three terms; mentoring many nurses via APNA Mental Match Program; revitalizing the APNA Colorado Chapter to promote psychiatric-mental health nursing in Colorado; and serving on Advisory Panels for the Council for mental Health Advocacy and the Council for Safe Environments. Learn more about this prestigious award and why Dr. Rice is the 2018 recipient.
- Rosario Medina, PhD, FAANP, FNP-BC, ACNP, CNS, received the 2018 State Award for Excellence during the recent AANP convention held in Denver. The award recognizes an NP in each state who demonstrates excellence in clinical practice. Learn more about the award and recipients. Dr. Medina was inducted as a Fellow into the American Association of Nurse Practitioners druing their 2019 Annual Conference.
- Lori Trego, PhD, CNM, FAAN, has been selected as the 2018–2019 Distinguished Nurse Scholar-in-Residence at the National Academy of Medicine (NAM). During her time as a NAM Distinguished Nurse Scholar, Dr. Trego plans to expand her leadership experience in enhancing the wellness of women who serve and have served in the nation’s military.
- Clinical Professor Joyce Verran, PhD, received the WIN Emerity award during the 2019 WIN Conference.
Amy Barton, PhD, RN, FAAN
Daniel and Janet Mordecai Endowed Chair in Rural Health Nursing Associate,
Dean for Clinical and Community Affairs
The College of Nursing is proud to have some of our incredible former faculty announced as Living Legends by the American Academy of Nursing.
- Colleen Goode, 2016. Former College of Nursing professor Colleen Goode earned the title of Living Legend in 2014. She retired from the College of Nursing in May of 2016.
- Jean Watson, 2013. After spending nearly a half century elevating the concept of caring into the realm of hard science, former University of Colorado College of Nursing Dean Jean Watson was selected as a Living Legend of the American Academy of Nursing for extraordinary contributions to her profession. Read More.
- Loretta Ford, 1999. Loretta Ford, former College of Nursing educator, was honored as an American Academy of Nursing Living Legend in 1999 after co-founding the Nurse Practitioner program. She has since written close to 100 nursing publications on the program's history, giving nurses and nurse educators today insight into the process.
Fellows of the American Academy of Nursing (FAAN)
Fellows of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP)
President’s Award for Teaching Excellence
- Tammy Spencer (1999, 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018)
- Jane Kass-Wolff (2008)
- Teresa Connolly (2015)
Chancellor’s Teaching Recognition Award
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
Graduate School Mentoring Award
Veritas Award from the Center for Bioethics and Humanities