Skip to main content
Sign In

Welcome to the University of Colorado School of Medicine on the Anschutz Medical Campus. A Top Ten Medical School, our departments, centers and institutes work with the University of Colorado Hospital, The Children's Hospital and Barbara Davis Center.

Graduate Medical Education

Workers Compensation

Work-Related Injuries, Needle-Sticks, or Exposures (Workers' Compensation Claim Procedures)

Medical Treatment:
Residents who experience a needle-stick or bodily fluid exposure (BFE) should seek immediate medical attention in the Emergency Room of the hospital where the work-related injury occurs.

Exceptions are:

University of Colorado Hospital - Go to the Infectious Disease Clinic at Anschutz Outpatient Pavilion, 1637 Aurora Court, 7th floor, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Go to the Emergency Department, Anschutz Inpatient Pavilion at all other times.

Denver Health Medical Center (DHMC) - The Occupational Health and Safety Center (corner of Sixth Avenue and Bannock, 4th Floor) is available 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Go to the Emergency Room at all other times.

If working in clinics or in laboratories off campus, go to the nearest emergency room or facility that can perform a blood draw.

For follow up care as instructed by the above provider and/or for follow up on all work-related injuries, needle-sticks or exposures, you must go to one of the Designated Medical Providers listed on the University Risk Management website,

Please direct any workers’ compensation questions to University Risk Management (303) 860-5682, (888) 812-9601 or University of Colorado Denver Risk Management (303) 724-1127.

You must file an online worker’s compensation claim form within 4 days of the injury or exposure. Go to the University Risk Management website,​, to complete and submit the claim form. Failure to file this form timely may result in penalties to you, including financial responsibility for treatment.

University Risk Management, not your health insurance, is responsible for payment of services related to a work-related injury or exposure. Report work-related injuries to University Risk Management, and follow Risk Management protocol. Workers' compensation coverage pays for reasonable and necessary medical expenses from designated providers with no co-pays or deductibles, and preserves the resident's rights in the event the injury requires recovery time off work, future treatment, etc.

Send bills from authorized medical providers for a work-related occurrence to:
University Risk Management
1800 Grant St., Suite 700
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 303-860-5682
Fax: 303-860-5680