ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS, AND HONORS
Positions and Employment:
Intern & Postdoc, University of Colorado, Denver CO, 1999-2002
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2002-2009
Adjunct Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Denver, 2003-Present
Adjunct Clinical Instructor, Dept. of Special Education, University of Alaska- Anchorage, 2003-Present
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Human Development/Family Studies, Colorado State University, 2005-Present
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2009-Present
Other Experience and Professional Memberships:
Autism Society of Colorado, 2001-Present [Board Member (2001-2006), Professional Advisor (2007)]
Collaborating Reviewer for American Journal on Mental Retardation, Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Autism: International Journal of Research and Practice, 2002-Present
Colorado Delegate, Clinician Workgroup of the Center for Autism and Developmental Disability Research in Epidemiology (CADDRE) Network, Centers for Disease Control, 2002-Present
Professional Advisor, Autism Task Force, Colorado Department of Education, 2003-Present
Research Delegate, World Congress on Chromosomal Abnormalities, 2004
Member, NIH, Center for Scientific Review, Special Emphasis Panel on Developmental Disabilities, Communication and Science Education, 2004-Present
Guest Reviewer for American Journal of Psychiatry, Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics, Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Neuropsychology, Journal of Applied Research in Developmental Disabilities, 2005-Present
Executive Committee Member, Gatlinburg Conference on Research and Treatment of Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities, 2005-Present
Pediatric Panel Member, Colorado Institutional Review Board, 2006-Present
Israel Science Foundation Special Panel on Autism Intervention, 2007
Member, NIH, CSR, Special Emphasis Panel on Cognition and Perception, 2007-Present
Reviewer, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Journal of the Association for Child & Adolescent Mental Health, 2007-Present
Ad Hoc Grant Reviewer, NIH, CSR, Panel on Interventions for Children and Families, 2008-Present
Ad Hoc Grant Reviewer, NIH/CSR, ARRA Combating Autism Act, 2009
Postdoctoral Research Faculty, Developmental Psychobiology Research Group, 2009-Present
Investigator Training Award, Research Training Institute at Thomas Jefferson University, Center for Excellence in Health Professions Research, 2001
National Institute of Health Extramural Clinical Researcher Student Loan Repayment Award, 2002-2006
P.E.A.C.E. with Kids Parent Support Award (Presented by Empower of Colorado), 2002
Dane Prugh Award for “Outstanding and Inspirational Teaching in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,” Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 2005
Autism Courses Director: Leadership & Education in Neurodevelopmental Disorders (LEND) (2008-Present)
Facilitator: Developmental Disabilities Research Group Seminars (2/month) (2005-Present)
Instructor: Child Development Seminar to Child Psychiatry Fellows (2001-Present), Screening and assessment of autism (2008-Present), Intervention for Autism (2007-2009)
Lecturer: Nervous System Block for Medical Students (2006-Present), Child and Adolescent Diagnosis and Treatment for Psychiatry Fellows (2001-Present), Nursing and Physicians Assistants programs (2007-Present)
Facilitator: Ethics in Health Professions (2006-Present): School of Medicine (PRMD 5000)
Mentor: Research for Post-doctoral fellows in Developmental Disabilities at JFK Partners (2003-Present) & Psychiatry Scholars in School of Medicine (2005-present), CCTSI T32 Clinical Translational Research Program (2008-present), NIH NRSA Post-Doctoral Program (2007-Present)
Advisor: APA-Approved Internship in Clinical Psychology at UCHSC (2002-Present)
Lead Psychologist, Autism School Consultation Clinic serving Littleton Public Schools, Cherry Creek, Aurora Public Schools, Sheridan, Adams-12, Adams-14, and Boulder County schools (2002-Present)
Supervising Clinician and Certified Trainer on Autism Diagnostic Instruments, Autism Treatment Network (training clinicians at JFK Partners and Child Development Unit of The Children’s Hospital); (2006-Present)
Lead Psychologist, Medicaid Early Intervention Program for Autism, JFK Partners (2006-2009)
Clinical Teacher, Toilet-training children with special needs (parent groups, workshops, individual sessions, professional videotape in production); (2005-Present)
Clinical Teacher, Screening and identification of autism, University Centers of Excellence in Developmental Disabilities in collaboration with the Colorado Department of Education and Early Childhood Connections (workshops for pediatricians, early intervention providers, school psychologists; developed a webinar which is archived in a national library for early interventionists); (2001-Present)
Parent Group Facilitator, for local school districts, 4-6 session series on specific parenting topics in developmental disabilities; on average facilitate 3 parent groups per year; (2001-Present)
SCHOLARSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
1. Hepburn, S.L. (2003). Clinical implications of temperament in young children with developmental disabilities. Infants and Young Children, 16, 59-76.
2. Reaven, J. & Hepburn, S.L. (2003). Cognitive-behavioral treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder in a child with Asperger syndrome: A Case report. Autism, 7(2), 145-165.
3. Rogers, S.J., Hepburn, S.L., & Wehner, E. (2003). Parent reports of sensory symptoms in toddlers with autism and those with other developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 33(6), 631-642.
4. Luyster, R., Richler, J. Risi, S., Hsu, W., Dawson, G., Bernier, R., Dunn, M., Hyman, S.L., McMahon, W.M., Goudie, J., Minshew, N., Rogers, S., Hepburn, S., Sigman, M., Spence, M.A., Tager-Flusberg, H., Volkmar, F., & Lord, C. (2005). Early regression in social communication in autism spectrum disorders: A CPEA study. Developmental Neuropsychology, 27(3), 311-336.
5. Hepburn, S.L. & Stone, W.L. (2006). Brief Report: Using the Behavioral Style Questionnaire to assess temperament in young children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36(5), 637-642.
6. Richler, J., Luyster, R., Risi, S., Hsu, W., Dawson, G., Bernier, R., Dunn, M., Hyman, S.L., McMahon, W.M., Goudie, J., Minshew, N., Rogers, S., Hepburn, S., Sigman, M., Spence, M.A., Tager-Flusberg, H., Volkmar, F., & Lord, C. (2006). Is there a regressive phenotype of autism spectrum disorder associated with the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine? A CPEA Study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36(3), 229-316.
7. Molloy, C.A., Morrow, A.L., Meinzen-Derr, J., Dawson, G., Bernier, R., Dunn, M., McMahon, W.M., Goudie-Nice, J., Hepburn, S., et al. (2006). Familial Autoimmune Thyroid Disease as a Risk Factor for Regression in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A CPEA Study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36(3), 317-324.
8. Peterson, E., Schmidt, G., Tregallas, D., Winterrowd, E., Kopelioff, L., Hepburn, S., Reite, M., & Rojas, D. (2006). A voxel-based morphometry study of gray matter in parents of children with autism. Neuroreport, 17(12), 1289-1292.
9. Hepburn, S., Philofsky, A., Fidler, D., & Rogers, S. (2008). Autism symptoms in toddlers with Down Syndrome: A descriptive study. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 21(1), 48-57.
10. Hepburn, S.L., DiGuiseppi, C., Rosenberg, S., Kaparich, K., Robinson, C., & Miller, L. (2008). Use of a teacher nomination strategy to screen for autism spectrum disorders in general education classrooms. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 38(2), 373-382.
11. Gotham, K., Risi, S., Dawson, G., Tager-Flusberg, H., Joseph, R., Carter, A., Hepburn, S., McMahon, W., Rodier, P., Hyman, S.L., Sigman, M., Rogers, S., Landa, R., Spence, M.A., Osann, K., Flodman, P., Volkmar, F., Hollander, E., Buxbaum, J., Pickles, A., Lord, C. (2008). A replication of the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS) revised algorithms. Journal of the American Academy of Childand Adolescent Psychiatry, 47(6), 642-651.
12. Bealle, P.M., Moody, E.J., McIntosh, D.N., Reed, C.L, & Hepburn, S. (2008). Rapid facial reactions to emotional facial expressions in typically developing children and children with ASD. Journal ofExperimental Child Psychology. Special Issue on Autism & Imitation, 101(3), 206-223.
13. Hepburn, S.L. & MacLean, W. (Invited Paper, 2009). Maladaptive and repetitive behaviors in children with Down syndrome and Autism Spectrum Disorders: Implications for screening. Journal of Mental Health in Developmental Disorders, Special Issue on Genetic Mental Retardation Syndromes, 2(2), 1-29.
Grants and Contracts:
Ongoing Grants and Contracts (Selected)
Health Resources and Services Administration - 1 R40MC15593-01-00, Susan Hepburn (PI), 09/01/09-8/31/11, $793, 000 Award
Tele-health Delivery of a Family-Focused Intervention to Reduce Anxiety in Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Rural Colorado. Role: PI.
NIH - 1 R21MH089291-01, Judy Reaven (PI), 9/30/09-8/31/11, $424,472 Award
Training Outpatients Clinicians to Deliver Cognitive Behavior Therapy to Children. Role: Co-PI.
Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award for Postdoctoral Fellows - K32MH081409-01A1, Eric Moody & Susan Hepburn (PI), 7/01/08-6/30/11, $145,300 Award
Emotional mimicry in autism. Role: Faculty Sponsor/PI.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - U90/CCU816827-02, Lisa Miller and Corry Robinson (PI), 9/30/06–9/29/11, $3,095,500 Award
Alliance for Research in Child Health and Epidemiology State Autism Monitoring Project; Colorado Centers for Excellence in Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities. Role: Co-PI, Supervising Site Clinician, Member Clinician Workgroup & Behavioral Phenotype Workgroup.
Health Resources and Services Administration - 1 T73 MC11044-01-00, Cordelia Robinson (PI), 9/01/08-8/31/11, $2,400,000 Award
Leadership Education In Neurodevelopmental And Related Disorders Training Program (LEND). Role: Co-Investigator and Autism Courses Director.
NIH/NIMH - 1R01 MH082820, Donald Rojas (PI), 12/01/09-11/30/13, $915,773 Award
Neural Synchrony Dysfunction of Gamma Oscillations in Autism. Role: Co-Investigator.
Autism Speaks - ATN-CRT-07-00, Cordelia Robinson (PI), 1/28/08-12/31/10, $162,400
Autism Treatment Network: Cooperative Multi-Center Program for Comprehensive Care and Treatment of Autism. Role: Co-Investigator, Supervising Site Clinician, Member Behavioral Sciences Workgroup.
Autism Speaks - #2958, Judy Reaven & Susan Hepburn (PI), 7/01/08-6/30/10, $162,000 Award
Cognitive-behavioral group treatment of anxiety symptoms in adolescents with autism. Role: PI for Research. (Dr. Reaven is PI for Clinical Program).
Clinical Contract: School Consultation: Supporting Students with Autism. Littleton Public Schools. 2000–Present (9 continuous school years); $12,000 - 18,000/year.
Technical Assistance Contract/Statewide Professional Development: Educational Identification of Autism. Colorado Department of Education. 2003–Present (6 continuous years): $6000 – 12,000/year.
Autism Speaks, Lisa Wilson (Mentors: Rojas & Hepburn), 9/01/09-8/31/10. $45,000
Weatherstone Postdoctoral Fellowship. Role: Clinical Mentor
Completed Grants and Contracts (Selected)
NICHD/CPEA Network - #5-R01-HD35468-10, Susan Hepburn (PI of Colorado Site), 09/01/02-31/07, $1,245,322 Award
Longitudinal Study of the Developing Phenotype of Autism. Role: Site PI of multi-site study.
Association of University Centers on Disability - #RTOI2005-1/2-416, Cordelia Robinson & Susan Hepburn (PIs), 10/01/05-9/31/07, $599,460 Award
Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Individuals with Down Syndrome. Role: Joint PI.
March of Dimes - #12-FY03-47, Susan Hepburn (PI), 09/01/03-08/31/06, $183,457 Award
Early Emerging Williams Syndrome Behavioral Phenotype: Implications for Early Intervention
Cure Autism Now - PN200511-081, Judy Reaven (PI) and Susan Hepburn (PI), 4/28/06–4/28/09, $180,000
Cognitive-behavioral group treatment of social anxiety in children with high-functioning autism: A Randomized trial. Role: PI for Research. Dr. Reaven is PI for Clinical Program.
Autism Speaks - PN:0702-101, Donald Rojas (PI), 9/01/07-8/31/09, $185,000
Gamma-band synchronization as a local connectivity endophenotype in autism. Role: Co-Investigator.
Organization for Autism Research - # PN200708-008, Audrey Blakeley-Smith (PI), 1/01/08-12/31/11, $88,000 Award
Peer-mediated intervention for students with autism spectrum disorders. Role: Co-Investigator.
T32, Lisa Wilson (Mentors: Rojas & Hepburn), 9/01/08-8/31/09, $31,000 Award
CCTSI Clinical Translational Traineeship. Role: Clinical Mentor.
Clinical Contract: School Consultation: Supporting Students with Autism and Significant Cognitive Impairments. Aurora Public Schools. 2005-2008: $3000 – 14,000/year.