Objectives/ Specific Skills
- To be thoroughly trained in the clinical practice of pediatric infectious diseases and be able to independently assess and appropriately manage infectious diseases problems commonly seen in children.
- To develop a research project. This will involve the acquisition of skills to ask pertinent questions; independently design appropriate experiments, analyze data, and use experimental data to answer original questions.
- To learn diagnostic microbiology and its application to pediatric infectious diseases.
- To develop the skills to be a competent teacher of Pediatric Infectious Diseases to practitioners and trainees of all levels.
- To fulfill the requirements for eligibility for the subspecialty board exam.
Specific skills include:
- Competence and interpretation of stains of primary clinical material and laboratory isolates.
- Working knowledge and interpretation of routine and specialized microbiological procedures.
- Working knowledge and interpretation of the pathology of infectious diseases.
- Use and interpretation of diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Emphasis on cost efficiency
- Clinical competence in the diagnosis and management of infectious diseases (inpatient and outpatient).
- Includes access to and interpretation of medical literature.
- Includes consideration of clinical trials and experimental therapeutics.
- Principles of infection control and epidemiology.
- Principles of antimicrobial therapeutics, resistance mechanisms, adverse drug reactions, and epidemiological trends.
- Management and use of intravenous catheters and other indwelling medical devices.
- Primary care of HIV infection.
10. Interpretation of medial literature and basic statistical analysis.
11. Fundamentals of medical investigation, either clinical or laboratory based
1. Study design and implementation
2. Problem solving
3. Collation and interpretation of results
4. Writing and publishing experimental results
5. Ethics in scientific research
6. Grant writing and accessing external funding sources
12. Proficiency as a consultant
1. Effective communication with physicians and patients
2. Educational strategies
3. Effective coordinator of consultants and consensus building
4. Ethics of medical care
13. Academic skills
1. Public speaking
2. Design and implementation of presentations (oral and written)
3. Educational strategies
4. Audiovisual skills: photography, computer graphics