In the United States, nearly one in three women of childbearing age is obese. As maternal obesity impacts the health of offspring, better understanding of the mechanisms is needed. It remains unclear whether the underlying pathophysiology is related to abnormal hypothalamic-pituitary dynamics, abnormal ovarian environment, or both. Obesity is associated with decreased pituitary output of luteinizing hormone (LH) and FSH, inadequate folliculogenesis and reduced ovarian steroid and protein production. Our overriding objective is to define essential characteristics of FSH-ovarian interactions using a multidisciplinary approach. We build upon existing statistical approaches to modeling pulsatile hormones, and transgenic FSH mouse models showing that pulsatile FSH secretion dramatically enhances ovarian function.
- Bradford AP, Jones K, Kechris K, Chosich J, Montague M, Warren WC, May MC, Al-Safi Z, Kuokkanen S, Appt SE, Polotsky AJ. Joint MiRNA/mRNA Expression Profiling Reveals Changes Consistent with Development of Dysfunctional Corpus Luteum after Weight Gain. PLoS One. 2015 Aug 10;10(8):e0135163.
- Polotsky AJ, Allshouse AA, Casson PR, Coutifaris C, Diamond MP, Christman GM, Schlaff WD, Alvero R, Trussell JC, Krawetz SA, Santoro N, Eisenberg E, Zhang H, Legro RS; Reproductive Medicine Network. Impact of Male and Female Weight, Smoking, and Intercourse Frequency on Live Birth in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Jun;100(6):2405-12Ryan AR, Wang S, Alvero R, Polotsky AJ. Prolonged Gonadotropin Stimulation for Assisted Reproductive Technology Cycles Is Detrimental for all Women Except for Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Assist Reprod Genet. 2014 Jul;31(7):837-42.
- Polotsky AJ, Allshouse A, Crawford SL, Harlow SD, Khalil N, Kazlauskaite R, Santoro N, Legro RS. Relative Contributions of Oligomenorrhea and Hyperandrogenemia to the Risk of Metabolic Syndrome in Midlife Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014;99:2120
- Merhi Z, Keltz J, Zapantis A, Younger J, Berger D, Lieman HJ, Jindal SK, Polotsky AJ. Male Adiposity Impairs Clinical Pregnancy Rate by In Vitro Fertilization without Affecting Day 3 Embryo Quality. Obesity 2013:21:1608-12.
- Sermondade N, Faure C, Fezeu L, Shayeb G, Bonde JP, Jensen TK, Van Wely M, Cao J, Martini AC, Eskandar M, Chavarro JE, Koloszar S, Twigt J, Ramlau-Hansen CH, Borges Jr. E, Lotti F, Steegers-Theunissen RPM, Zorn B, Polotsky AJ, La Vignera S, Eskenazi B, Tremellen K, Magnusdottir EV, Fejes I, Hercberg S, Lévy R, Czernichow S. Body mass index in relation to sperm count: an updated systematic review and collaborative meta-analysis. Human Reproduction Update 2013; 19:221-31
- Kundu MC, May MC, Chosich J, Bradford AP, Lasley B, Gee N, Santoro N, Appt SE, Polotsky AJ. Assessment of Luteal Function in the Vervet Monkey as a Means to Develop a Model for Obesity-Related Reproductive Phenotype. Syst Biol Reprod Med. 2013;59:74-81.
- Polotsky AJ, Allshouse A, Crawford SL, Harlow SD, Khalil N, Santoro N, Legro RS. Relative Contributions of Oligomenorrhea and Hyperandrogenemia to the Risk of Metabolic Syndrome in Midlife Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:E868-77.
- Keltz J, Zapantis A, Jindal SK, Lieman HJ, Santoro N, Polotsky AJ. Overweight Men: Clinical Pregnancy after ART is decreased in IVF but not in ICSI Cycles. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2010; 27:539-44.
- Polotsky AJ, Hailpern S, Skurnick J, Lo J, Sternfeld B, Santoro N. Association of adolescent obesity and lifetime nulliparity-SWAN, the study of women’s health across the nation. Fertil Steril. 2010; 93:2004-11.
Dysregulation of FSH in Obesity: Functional and Statistical Analysis
The objective is to determine the causes for dysregulation of FSH and its feedback in obesity
5 U10HD038998-13 Colorado Reproductive Medicine Unit
The aim is to provide ongoing monitoring for patients conceiving from RMN clinical trials
5 R25HD075737 The Clinical Research/Reproductive Scientist Training Program (CREST)
The aim is to provide a training program in reproductive medicine for practicing physicians
2015 Chair for Nutrition Special Interest Group for the American Society of Reproductive Medicine