Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
 

Tick bite paralyzes couple's dog after camping trip to Colorado


NIWOT, CO. - Veterinarians say ticks are to blame for paralyzing a couple's dog after a camping trip to Boulder County, Colorado.

Bob and Voni Faus were camping in Nederland earlier this month when their 15-year-old dachshund, Bitz, was bitten by two Rocky Mountain wood ticks.

About one week later, Bitz couldn't move.

"He was just crumpled in a pile against the wall," Voni says, "I said, 'my God, we have to go to the emergency room right now.'"

Bitz suffered from canine tick paralysis, a rare but potentially fatal condition that renders dogs unable to move from the neck down.

Read more