Harvard College, Cambridge, MA 1977 B.A. Biochemical Sciences
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 1982 M.D. Medicine
1975 - 76
Trainee, College Summer Research Program; The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME
1982 - 86
Medicine Internship, Residency, Chief Residency; Yale New Haven Hosp, New Haven, CT
1985 - 86
Instructor in Medicine; Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
1986 - 89
Pulmonary and Crit Care Medicine Fellowship; U. of Colo. Sch. of Med., Denver, CO
1989 - Present
Attending Physician (Pulmonary, ICU; Director, VA Chest Clinic); Denver VA Medical Center and University Hospital, Denver, CO
1989 - 96
Assistant Professor, Dept of Medicine, Staff Investigator, CVP Research Laboratory; U. of Colo. Sch. of Med., Denver, CO
1996 - 2002
Associate Professor with tenure, Dept of Medicine, Staff Investigator, CVP Research Laboratory; U of Colo. Sch. of Med., Denver, CO
Chief, Pulmonary & Critical Care Section, Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, CO
HONORS AND AWARDS
1977 - 82
Hammerman Medical Fellowship; National Foundation March of Dimes
1980 - 81
Grunebaum Cancer Research Fellowship; Rockefeller Univ., New York, NY
1989 - 92
PI, Parker B. Francis Pulmonary Research Fellowship
1989 - 92
PI, Pfizer Postdoctoral Research Award in Cardiovascular Medicine
1990 - 91
PI, NIH Biomedical Research Grant #BRSG-05357
1991 - 92
PI, American Heart Association of Colorado Research Grant
1991 - 93
PI, American Lung Association Research Grant
1993 - 98
Director, Tissue Culture Core and Co-Invest, Project 3,5; NHLBI PPG HL 14985
1993 - 95
PI, Roerig/American College of Chest Physicians Research Award
1994 - 96
PI, Department of Veterans Affairs Research Advisory Group Grant
1994 - 96
Giles Filley Research Award from American Physiological Society
1997 - 02
Co-Invest, Project 1 NHLBI SCOR HL-46481
1997 - 99
PI, American Heart Association of Colorado/Wyoming Research Grant
1998 - 03
PI, Department of Veterans Affairs Merit Review Grant
1998 - 03
PI, Project 3 and Director, Tissue Culture Core; NHLBI PPG HL 14985
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (From a list of more than 42 papers)
- Dempsey EC, Stenmark KR, McMurtry IF, O'Brien RF, Voelkel NF, Badesch DB. Insulin-like growth factor I and protein kinase C activation stimulate pulmonary artery smooth muscle cell proliferation through separate and synergistic pathways. J Cell Physiol; 144:159-165, 1990.
- Dempsey EC, McMurtry IF, O'Brien RF. Protein kinase C activation allows pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells to proliferate in response to hypoxia. Am J Physiol; 260:L136-L145, 1991.
- Stenmark KR, Dempsey EC, Badesch DB, Frid M, Mecham RP, Parks, WC. Regulation of pulmonary vascular wall cell growth: developmental and site-specific heterogeneity. Eur Respir Rev; 3:16, 629-637, 1993.
- Zamora MR, Dempsey EC, Walchak SJ, Stelzner TJ. BQI23, a selective endothelin ETA antagonist, inhibits endothelin-1 mediated proliferation of human pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. Am J Resp Cell and Mol Biol; 9:429-433, 1993.
- Lake FR, Dempsey EC, Spahn JD, Riches DWH. Involvement of protein kinase C in macrophage activation by poly [I:C]. Am J Physiol; 266:C134-C142, 1994.
- Crowley ST, Dempsey EC, Horwitz KB, Horwitz LD. Platelet-induced vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation is modulated by the growth amplication factors serotonin and adenosine diphosphate. Circulation; 90:1908-1918, 1994.
- Dempsey EC, Badesch DB, Dobyns EL, Stenmark KR. Enhanced growth capacity of neonatal pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells in vitro: Dependence on cell size, time from birth, insulin-like growth factor 1, and autoactivation of protein kinase C. J Cell Physiol; 160:469-481, 1994.
- Stenmark KR, Durmowicz AG, Dempsey EC. "Modulation of vascular wall cell phenotype in pulmonary hypertension." Chapter 6; pp 171-212, In: Pulmonary Vascular Remodeling. (Eds. Bishop JE, Reeves JJ, Laurent GJ) Portland Press, London, UK 1995.
- Das M, Stenmark KR, Dempsey EC. Enhanced growth of fetal and neonatal pulmonary artery adventitial fibroblasts in vitro is dependent on protein kinase C. Am J Physiol; 269:L660-L667, 1995.
- Jones, CLA, Beck LK, Brozna JP, Holley M, Dempsey EC, Kane MA. Properties of classic protein kinase C in human small cell lung carcinoma NCI-H345 cells. Cell Growth and Differentiation; 6:1627-1634, 1995.
- Dempsey EC, Das M, Frid M, Stenmark KR. Unique growth properties of neonatal pulmonary vascular cells: Importance of time-and site-specific responses, cell-cell interaction, and synergy. J. Perinatol; 16:S2-S11, 1996.
- Zamora MR, Stelzner TJ, Panos R, Webb S, Dempsey EC. Overexpression of endothelin- 1 and enhanced growth of pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells from rats with idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol; 270:L101-L109, 1996.
- Lehman, TA, Scott F, Seddon M, Kelly K, Dempsey EC, Wilson VL, Mulshine JL, Modali R. Detection of K-ras oncogene mutations by PCR-based ligase chain reaction. Anal Biochem; 239:153-159, 1996.
- Keyes LE, Moore LG, Walchak SA, Dempsey EC. Pregnancy stimulated growth of vascular smooth muscle cells: Importance of protein-kinase-C-dependent synergy between estradiol and platelet-derived growth factor. J Cell Physiol; 166:22-32, 1996.
- Keyes, LE, Majack R, Dempsey EC, Moore LG. Pregnancy stimulation of DNA synthesis and uterine blood flow in the guinea pig. Ped Research; 41:708-715, 1997.
- Xu Y, Stenmark KR, Das M, Walchak SJ, Ruff LJ, Dempsey EC. Pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells from chronically hypoxic neonatal calves retain fetal-like and acquire new growth properties: Importance of the hypoxia-induced proliferative phenotype and protein kinase C-a. Am J Physiol; 273: L234-L245, 1997.
- Das M, Stenmark KR, Ruff LJ, Dempsey EC. Selected isozymes of PKC contribute to the augmented growth of fetal and neonatal bovine pulmonary artery fibroblasts. Am J Physiol; 273:L1276-L1284, 1997.
- Frid MG, Aldashev AA, Dempsey EC, Stenmark KR. Smooth muscle cells isolated from discrete compartments of the mature vascular media exhibit unique phenotypes and distinct growth capabilities. Circ Res; 81:940-952, 1997.
- Dempsey EC, Frid MG, Aldashev AA, Stenmark KR. Heterogeneity in the proliferative response of bovine pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells to mitogens and hypoxia: Importance of protein kinase C. Canad J Physiol and Pharm; 75:936-944, 1997.
- Frid MG, Dempsey EC, Durmowicz, Stenmark KR. Smooth muscle cell heterogeneity in pulmonary and systemic vessels: Importance in vascular disease. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology; 17:1203-1209, 1997.
- Dempsey EC, Das M, Frid MG, Xu Y, Stenmark KR. Hypoxic growth of bovine pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells is dependent on synergy, heterogeneity, and injury-induced phenotypic change. Chest; 114:S1-S2 1998.
- Frid MG, Aldashev AA, Cabirac GF, Dempsey EC, Stenmark KR. Hypoxia stimulates proliferation of a unique cell population isolated from the bovine vascular media. Chest 114:28S-29S, 1998.
- Das M, Stenmark KR, Ruff LJ, Dempsey EC. The Ca2+-dependent isozymes of protein kinase C are uniquely important in the enhanced growth of immature adventitial fibroblasts isolated from the bovine pulmonary arterial wall at a time of heightened susceptibility to vascular injury. Chest 114: 68S-69S, 1998.
- Stenmark KR, Frid M, Nemenoff R, Dempsey EC, Das M. "Hypoxia induces cell-specific changes in gene expression and in vascular wall cells: Implications for pulmonary hypertension." Chapter 19: 1-28. Hypoxia: Into the Next Millennium (Ed: Hackett P, Roach R, Wagner P) Plenum Press, 1999.
- Stenmark KR, Frid M, Nemenoff R, Dempsey EC, Das M. Hypoxia induces cell-specific changes in gene expression and in vascular wall cells: Implications for pulmonary hypertension. Adv in Exp Med and Biol 474:231-258, 1999.
- Stenmark KR, Das M, Bouchey D, Dempsey EC. "Contribution of the adventitial fibroblast to pulmonary vascular disease". Chapter 5:67-86. In: The Fetal and Neonatal Pulmonary Circulations. (Eds. Weir EK, Archer SL, Reeves JT). AHA Monograph Series Futura Publishing Co. Armonk, NY, 1999.
- Keith RL, Miller YE, Gemmill RM, Drabkin HA, Dempsey EC, Haney J, LaRosa FG, Folkvord J, Kennedy TC, Prindiville S, Franklin WA. Angiogenic squamous dysplasia in bronchi of individuals at high risk for lung cancer. Clin Canc Res 6:1616-1625, 2000.
- Das M, Dempsey EC, Bouchey D, Reyland ME, Stenmark KR. Chronic hypoxia induces exaggerated growth responses in pulmonary artery adventitial fibroblasts. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 22: 15-25, 2000.
- Stenmark KR, Bouchey D, Nemenoff R, Dempsey EC, Das M. Hypoxia-induced pulmonary vascular remodeling: contribution of the adventitial fibroblasts. Physiol Res 49: 503-517, 2000.
- Dempsey EC, Newton AC, Mochly-Rosen D, Fields AP, Reyland ME, Insel PA, Messing, RO. Protein kinase C isozymes and the regulation of diverse cell responses. Am J Physiol 23: L429-L438, 2000.
- Hirsch FR, Prindiville SA, Miller YE, Franklin WA, Dempsey EC, Murphy JR, Bunn PA Jr., Kennedy TC. Fluorescence versus white light bronchoscopy for etection of preneoplastic lesions: a randomized study. J Natl Cancer Inst 93: 1385-1391,2001.
- Klemm DJ, Watson PA, Frid MG, Dempsey EC, Schaack J, Nesterova A, Stenmark KR, Reusch JE-B. CREB content is a molecular determinant of smooth muscle cell proliferation and migration. J Biol Chem 276, 46132-46141, 2001.
- Tottempudi PK, Reyland ME, Das M, McMurtry IF, Hoagland KD, Stenmark KR, Dempsey EC. Upstream regulation of protein kinase C-alpha gene expression in bovine pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol (Under Review), 2001.
- White MM, Rockwell CL, McCullough RE, Dempsey EC Moore LG. Effects of pregnancy and gestational age on in vitro growth properties of guinea pig uterine artery smooth muscle cells. Am J Ob Gyn (Under Review), 2002.
- Das M, Dempsey EC, Reeves JT, Stenmark KR. Phenotypically distinct fibroblast subpopulations in pulmonary artery adventitia: selective expansion in response to hypoxia. Am J Physiol (In Press), 2002.
Patents: Dempsey EC. "Method of using PKC inhibiting compounds to treat vascular disease"; (based on structure of bryostatin derivatives); US Patent 6,228,843; issued May 8, 2001.