Department of Family Medicine
Academic Office 1 - Mail Stop F496
Denver, CO 80045
Phone: (303) 724-9725
I attended Ohio State University, completed a Family Medicine residency in Spokane, Washington, and then practiced Family Medicine in rural Washington State for 12 years before shifting into a teaching career. During the years in rural practice, I learned about the many important roles that Family Physicians play in the lives of the people we serve and in the community at large. I also learned about the business of medicine serving as the managing partner of our very busy practice, and about community involvement as coordinator of Emergency Medical Services for two rural counties and as a volunteer firefighter
As a faculty member, I hope to share my enthusiasm for primary care with students, residents and other faculty. The attachment and sense of accomplishment that I felt from taking care of generations of families in rural Washington is now fulfilled by teaching and by exemplifying that it is a privilege to be a physician.
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center “Bridge to the Future, Innovations in Education Award” in 1996
- Colorado Academy of Family Physicians Teacher of the Year award in 1999
- American Academy of Family Physicians Exemplary Teaching Award for Full-Time Faculty in 2000
- University of Colorado Department of Family Medicine Teacher of the year award 2008
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary member by the School of Medicine graduating class of 2009
- Academy of Medical Educators Award for Excellence in Educational Leadership, 2009
- Osage Orange Distinguished Physician Walking Stick Award for service to rural medical education 2009
- Rural medical practice
- Maternity care
- Technical procedures
- Education methods
1978-1990: Rural Family Medicine in White Salmon, Washington including the full range of adult and child medicine, surgery and obstetrics.
1990-1994: Faculty member and OB Fellowship Director, University of Tennessee, Memphis.
Since 1995, I have been here at the University of Colorado, Department of Family Medicine. During this time, I have had many different jobs, beginning as a residency faculty member, changing to fellowship director and am currently mostly working with medical students. I have worked with several of the Family Medicine residencies in Colorado including Rose, Saint Anthony, Saint Joseph, Greeley and helped to found the University residency program. I have directed OB fellowships and now am organizing a new Rural Medicine fellowship.
My work emphasis is on preparation for rural practice. I direct the Rural Track for the School of Medicine, a program for students who are planning a career in rural medical practice. I also serve on the School of Medicine’s Admissions Committee.
I think that interdisciplinary work and training are important in healthcare. I serve as Colorado Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Associate Director for Multidisciplinary Education. I helped introduce an oral health curriculum in the School of Medicine, participate in teaching general medical topics to dental students, and serve in the Delta Dental Frontier Center and the Cavity Free at Three program.
I appreciate the broad range of opportunities that the Department of Family Medicine and AHEC provide afford to our faculty to pursue their educational, service and research interests. Colorado is a great place to live and work!
- Colorado Academy of Family Physicians
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- National Rural Health Association
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
PUBLICATIONS AND GREY LITERATURE:
- Deutchman M, Connor PD, Gobbo R, FitzSimmons R. “Outcomes of Cesarean Sections Performed by Family Physicians and the Training They Received: A 15 year Retrospective Study” Journal of the American Board of Family Practice 1995;8:81-90.
- Deutchman M, Sills D, Connor PD. “Perinatal outcomes: A comparison between family physicians and obstetricians” J Am Board Fam Pract 1995; 8:440-447.
- Deutchman M. “Who Ever Heard of Family Physicians Performing Cesarean Sections?” editorial Journal of Family Practice 1996;43:449-453.
- Deutchman M, Brayden R, Siegel CD, Beaty B, Crane L. Childhood Immunization in Rural Family and General Practices: Current Practices, Perceived Barriers and Strategies for Improvement. Ambulatory Child Health 2000 6(3), 181-189.
- Deutchman M. Vacuum Extraction (editorial) American Family Physician 2000;62:1269-1274.
- Deutchman M. Cesarean Delivery and Hospitals: Size Matters (editorial) Jour Fam Pract 2001;50:224-225.
- Glazner JE, Steiner JF, Haas KJ, Renfrew B, Deutchman M, Berman S. Is Reimbursement for Childhood Immunization Adequate? Evidence from Two Rural Areas in Colorado. Public Health Reports 2001;116:219-225.
- Deutchman M, Roberts R. VBAC: Protecting Patients; Defending Doctors. American Family Physician 2003;67:931-932, 935-936.
- Deutchman ME. Nonmedical Ultrasonography During Pregnancy. Am Fam Phys. 2005;72(11). http://www.aafp.org/afp/20051201/curbside.html
- Deutchman M, Wulster-Radcliffe M. Stress Urinary Incontinence in Women: Diagnosis and Medical Management. Medscape General Medicine. 2005 December 6;7(4):62 2362-4. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516348
- Roberts RG, Deutchman M, King V, Fryer GE, Miyoshi TJ. Changing Policies on Vaginal Birth after Cesarean: Impact on Access. Birth 2007;34(4)316-322.
- Deutchman M, Dresang L, Winslow D. Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO®) International Development. Family Medicine October 2007;39:615-619.
- Douglass AB, Deutchman M, Douglass J, Gonsalves W, Maier R, Silk H, Tysinger J, Wrightson AS. Incorporation of a National Oral Health Curriculum Into Family Medicine Residency Programs. (letter to the editor) Family Medicine 2009;41(3)159-160.
- Deutchman M, Tubay AT, Turok D. First trimester bleeding. American Family Physician 2009;79(11):985-992, 993-994.
Multimedia and Video:
- Deutchman M. Obstetric Ultrasonography Principles and Techniques. Multimedia CD ROM. Published by Silver Platter Education, Newton MA. July, 1995, revised 2001.
- Deutchman M. Abdominal Ultrasound Principles and Techniques Multimedia CD-ROM Published by Silver Platter Education, Newton MA. September 1997, revised 2001.
- Deutchman M, Loquet P. Diagnostic Ultrasound of Fetal Anomalies. Multimedia CD ROM Published by Silver Platter Education, Newton MA. March 1999.
- Kendall J, Deutchman M, Stahmer S. Emergency and Trauma Ultrasonography. Multimedia CD-ROM Challenger Corp. Memphis, TN 2001, revised 2005 and 2008.
- Deutchman M, Cesarean Delivery. Mutimedia learning package. Challenger Corporation, Memphis TN. 2003.
- Deutchman M (editor). “Perineal Laceration Repair” Video produced for AAFP Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics in English, Russian and Arabic. 2005.