Mission: To facilitate the success of women in all ranks of the academic medical community and to promote academic excellence at all levels for faculty, housestaff and students while reducing areas in which gender hinders success.
Background Information: The Women in Medicine and Science Committee was formed to identify the major issues and to provide leadership for these issues. The committee has representatives from the School of Medicine, University Hospital, Denver Health Medical Center and The Children’s Hospital.
Events: The Literature of Prescription (July 11-Aug. 21) showcases the many obstacles women have faced in pursuing professional careers, highlighting the medical and scientific arguments made for denying women access to opportunities. The exhibit focuses on the life and work of Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a 19th Century author and writer who wrote The Yellow Wall-Paper.
- Foster networking for women faculty by means of quarterly meetings of the Women in Medicine and Science Committee.
- Provide Career Development Workshops twice a year.
- Publish a WIM webpage, which alerts women faculty, residents, and students to on-going issues and events, awards, and educational opportunities.
- Work with the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs to produce annual New Faculty Orientation.
- Work with the Associate Dean for Student Affairs to support mentoring women medical students.
Women's Liaison Officer: Dr. Carol Rumack
Group Representatives: Jean Kutner and Judith Regensteiner