Foundations of Commodities
March 20-21, 2017
Not-for academic credit. Certificate issued by the J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities, CU Denver. Certified by GARP and DORA Deivison of Insurance for 16 Continuing Education Credits.
Gain a high level of understanding of the commodities industry from physical aspects (supply chain, fundamentals, asset monetization) to the financial (market structure, spreads, futures and derivatives). Risk management and regulation/compliance will also be covered.
Click here for a detailed course overview.
Day 1: Fundamentals of Agricultural, Energy & Mineral Commodities
- Introduction to foundational commodities concepts
- Physical commodity supply and value chains
- Commodity transportation and logistics
- Structure of financial commodity markets and trading
- Legal, regulatory and compliance aspects of commodities markets
Day 2: Trading Commodity Financials and Derivatives
- Managing commodity financial risks
- Commodity transaction structuring and finance
- Quantitative methods in commodity analysis
- Commodities price forecasting
A valuation and fundamental analytics expert, Thorvin spent almost twenty years in the industry and on Wall Street, with firms ranging from Koch Industries and Calpine Corporation to Bear Stearns and J.P. Morgan. During this time, he has led multiple training programs focused on commodities. Thorvin graduated from Stanford University with a B.A. in Economics, and received his CFA Charter in 2006.
- Salman Banaei, Director & Head Noth American Regulatory Affairs at IHS Markit
- Dr. Tom Brady, Chief Economist, Newmont Mining
- Dr. Christopher J. Hansen, Principal, Hansen Advisors
- Andy Hecht, Commodities Expert and Author
- Ken Shulklapper, Lead of E&P Derivative Marketing team, JPMorgan