Foundations of Commodities
The Foundations of Commodities Certificate is designed to educate professionals on the foundational concepts of commodities in the physical and financial arenas including key terms and concepts, underlying principles, market structure, futures and derivatives, risk management, and regulation. This course provides an affordable and accelerated curriculum for new hires in commodity-related businesses. Participants will gain a high level of understanding of the commodities industry from physical commodities (supply chain, fundamentals, asset monetization) to financial commodities (market structure, spreads, futures and derivatives). Risk management and regulation and compliance issues will be included in the discussion.
Nine segments will focus on the following topics
Day 1: Fundamentals of Agricultural, Energy & Mineral Commodities
- Introduction to commodities and foundations concepts
- Commodity futures and derivatives
- Physical commodity supply and value chains
- Commodity transportation and logistics
Day 2: Trading Commodity Financials and Derivatives
- Structure of financial commodity markets and trading
- Managing financial risks of commodity trading
- Legal, regulatory and compliance requirements for commodities trading
Day 3: Managing Commodity Risk
- Commodity transaction structuring and finance
- Commodities price forecasting.
Who Should Attend?
- Commodities industry employees
- New hires in commodity-related businesses
- Commodity and financial derivatives traders
- Support agencies such as attorneys, accountants, sales or IT managers
- Government officials
- Non-industry professionals wishing to learn more about the foundations of commodities
For a complete listing of course instructors, visit the Foundations of Commodities Faculty page.