Foundations of Commodities
The Foundations of Commodities Certificate is designed to educate professionals on the foundational concepts of commodities in the physical and financial arenas including key terms and concepts, underlying principles, market structure, futures and derivatives, risk management, and regulation. This course provides an affordable and accelerated curriculum for new hires in commodity-related businesses. Participants will gain a high level of understanding of the commodities industry from physical commodities (supply chain, fundamentals, asset monetization) to financial commodities (market structure, spreads, futures and derivatives). Risk management and regulation and compliance issues will be included in the discussion.
Nine segments will focus on the following topics
Day 1: Fundamentals of Agricultural, Energy & Mineral Commodities
- Introduction to foundational commodities concepts
- Physical commodity supply and value chains
- Commodity transportation and logistics
- Structure of financial commodity markets and trading
- Legal, regulatory and compliance requirements for commodities trading
Day 2: Trading Commodity Financials and Derivatives
- Managing commodity financial risks
- Commodity transaction structuring and finance
- Quantitative methods in commodity analysis
- Commodities price forecasting
Who Should Attend?
- Commodities industry employees
- New hires in commodity-related businesses
- Commodity and financial derivatives traders
- Support functions such as attorneys, accountants, sales or HR or IT managers, etc.
- Government officials
- Non-industry professionals wishing to learn more about the basics of the commodities industry
For a complete listing of course instructors, visit the Foundations of Commodities Faculty page.