The Business School at CU Denver is dedicated to giving you the knowledge you need to succeed in the business environment. Each of our programs has developed a set of learning outcomes to ensure your ability to understand and apply concepts learned in the classroom.
The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree program prepares students to excel after graduation, with instruction that includes both concrete principles and experiential learning.
The goal is for students to hone the art of learning to support professional development and provide the necessary skills to:
- Think logically and analytically about complex problems
- Communicate effectively in business environments
- Understand the human relationships involved in an organization
- Be aware of the social and ethical responsibilities within management positions
Business Analytics MS
The MS Business Analytics degree program prepares students to apply quantitative methods to business decision-making using the techniques of statistics and operations management.
The goals of the program are for students to graduate with the ability to:
- Recognize situations that would benefit from the application of Decision Sciences techniques
- Propose action using an appropriate model or solution method
- Work with current modeling techniques and software in order to prepare solutions
- Effectively communicate results to others in technical and non-technical terms
The MS Finance degree program provides the in-depth knowledge and analytical skills needed for a career in the finance industry. The goal is for students to demonstrate an understanding of the economic environment, recognize different financial instruments, know how the U.S. economy and Federal Reserve System operate and understand theories of yield curves and interest rate determination.
The program includes the following objectives for students:
- Evaluate investment and financial decisions of a firm utilizing financial theory and decision-making tools
- Analyze quantitative and data methods to help make financial decisions
- Apply economic analyses to a firm's decision making and understand the impact of the economic environment in evaluating financial decisions
Global Energy Management MS
The MS Global Energy Management degree program GEM is breaking new ground in the energy industry, thus the program has rigorous standards and lofty objectives for students.
The ultimate goal is for graduates to understand and successfully operate their companies in a constantly changing political environment and highly government-regulated world.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to:
- Recognize, analyze and propose effective and efficient solutions to problems within the energy industry, from leadership and management to accounting, operations and marketing
- Propose and communicate plans and solutions
- Implement and assess solution success and fit for a company
- Analyze, understand, plan and ensure company success in a globally competitive and demanding environment
- Lead in an era of increasing nationalization within energy supplying nations
Information System MS
The MS Information Systems degree program's educational goals are to provide students with a theoretical foundation and fundamental knowledge of the skills necessary for a career in the field of information systems. Students will gain additional knowledge and skills in one of three areas – System Development and Implementation, Enterprise Technology Management or Health Information Technology.
The goals for students specializing in Systems Development and Implementation include:
- Design, build, and manage complex systems involving large databases, electronic commerce and organizational decision making
- Manage software development projects from start to finish
- Design and manage complex systems that require integration and interoperability of hardware and software components
The goals for students specializing in Enterprise Technology Management include:
- Assess existing and emerging information technologies in business applications
- Use existing information technologies to integrate the enterprise
- Plan an integrated information systems structure
- Apply organizational theories to technology management
- Identify and consider appropriate management principles for technology project implementation
The goals for students specializing in Health Information Technology include:
- Assess existing and emerging information technologies in health care
- Use existing information technologies to integrate the enterprise
- Manage health care information using effective information technology systems
- Understand security and privacy issues associated with health information
Information Systems PhD
The Computer Science and Information Systems degree program's primary educational goal is to prepare students for careers in academic institutions, industry research and development, and consulting firms.
Graduates will be armed with research and scientific writing skills, enabling them to perform independent research in significant topic areas. They also will be practiced in providing instruction and making presentations to teach university-level classes research presentations.
Other objectives of the program are:
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of major CSIS research areas
- Demonstrate knowledge of major research methodology area
- Perform independent original research and write research papers based on the research results
- Deliver research presentations to peer audiences
- Demonstrate understanding of university-level instruction issues especially as the issues relate to CSIS classes
International Business MS
The MS International Business degree program is designed to prepare students to participate in the rapidly expanding global business community.
The objectives of the program are for students to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the environmental aspects of international business on a variety of contexts, including socio-cultural, political, financial and economic
- Gain an understanding of the international dimensions of business functions, including marketing, finance, management, operations, accounting and entrepreneurship
- Participate in action-learning opportunities, like immersion projects and international field studies, to gain practical exposure to international business and the global arena
One of the few graduate marketing programs in the country, the ultimate objective for the MS Marketing degree program is to empower students with a broad knowledge of marketing theories, as well as the ability to apply them and assess how they affect markets and industries.
Students will also graduate with the ability to:
- Develop marketing initiatives appropriate to a given industry
- Implement a marketing program in a target market
Combining theory, technique and hands-on experience, the objective of the MS Management degree program is to prepare students for high-level positions through the comprehension and application of theories in three main subject areas.
Subject areas are:
- Effective organization design
- Implementation of planned change
- Attraction, development, reward and deployment of employee talent
The MBA degree program balances the knowledge of business with the value of real world experience. The objective is for graduates from the program to have a strong grasp on all aspects of business and use this knowledge to lead to firm decision-making decisions.
Students in the program gain a global and technological perspective and demonstrate skill in:
- Working in collaborative teams
- Understanding ethical reasoning in decision making
- Comprehending the areas of finance, economics, accounting, data analysis and quantitative analysis
- Creating plans for marketing issues and applications
- Implementing strategic and operations management tactics
- Writing and presenting in business settings
- Developing business strategy
Health Administration MBA
Designed for the health professional who would like to add an MBA to their skill set, the MBA in Health Administration degree program prepares students with the competencies required to identify challenges and opportunities, recommend courses of action, and communicate outcomes specifically tailored to the health care community.
The program provides a synthesis of management concepts and techniques that are specifically relevant to health service systems, but are also applicable to any economic organization.
The goal is for graduates of the program to demonstrate:
- Achievement orientation evident in concern for surpassing standards of excellence
- Self-confidence in the capacity to select and apply effective solutions
- Knowledge and skills in speaking and writing clearly in formal and informal situations
- Competency in analyzing, explaining and using financial information
- Skills in utilizing theoretical and applied knowledge to manage effectively in the health care environment
- Proficiency in developing strategies for improving long-term success and viability of health care organizations
- Understanding in the application of management tools relevant to economic organizations
Executive Health MBA
Graduates from the Executive MBA in Health Administration degree program have the ability to identify challenges and opportunities, recommend courses of action, and communicate outcomes specifically tailored to the health care community.
The program provides a synthesis of management concepts and techniques, decision making, and interpersonal tools relevant to leading health care organizations.
The objectives for students in the program are to demonstrate knowledge and skill in:
- Analyzing health care data and financial issues and statements
- Describing and analyzing health care relevant to macro-environmental influences
- Solving human resource problems for health care systems
- Developing strategies for positioning health care organizations
- Describing, measuring and improving health care outcomes