The MD/MBA Dual Degree
The Business School and the School of Medicine offer this degree option for those students admitted into the medical program at the School of Medicine. As a medical student, you may submit your MCAT scores instead of taking the GMAT for admission. Please see graduate admissions or an advisor for more admissions information.
This is an excellent opportunity if you wish to understand the business of medicine and develop a career with medical administrative opportunities.
Typical Program Plan
- You will successfully complete the first three years of medical school before beginning classes at the CU Denver Business School.
- Between years 3 and 4 of medical school, you will take MBA classes at the CU Denver Business School.
- The fourth year of medical school is spent on clinical rotations (please check with your Medical School advisor to confirm)
- The fifth year of medical school is spent attending both clinical rotations.
- Both degrees are awarded at the end of the fifth year of medical school, students must graduate with both degrees at the same time.
- A total of 7 years and one semester is the maximum allowed to complete a dual program (check with an advisor for more information).
All MBA students are required to take 30 credit hours, which provide a broad base of knowledge upon which they will build their degree. Courses may include subjects such as:
- Managing Individuals and Teams
- Data Analysis
- Legal and Ethical Environment of Business
- Analyzing and Interpreting Accounting Information
- Marketing Management
- Information Systems and Strategy
- Applied Economics
- Financial Management
- Strategic Management
- International Taxation
- International Entrepreneurship
- Global Enterprise Systems
- Profiles in Health Care
Below are the requirements for the MBA portion of the dual degree. Check with your advisor in the CU Denver School of Medicine for MD requirements.
CU Denver School of Medicine Student Affairs Office