Vinit Desai | Associate Professor of Management
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley
- M.S., University of California at Berkeley
- B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
- BUSN 6710, Strategic Management
- MGMT 4370, Organization Design
Areas of Expertise
- Organization Theory, Strategic Management, Organizational Learning, Decision Making, Organizational Failures
- Desai, V. (2016). Under the Radar: Regulatory Collaborations and their Selective Use to Facilitate Organizational Compliance. Academy of Management Journal.59: 636-657.
- Desai, V. (2016). The Behavioral Theory of the (Governed) Firm: Corporate Board Influences on Organizations' Responses to Performance Shortfalls. Academy of Management Journal 59: 860-879.
- Desai, V. (2015). Learning through the Distribution of Failures within an Organization: Evidence from Heart Bypass Surgery Performance. Academy of Management Journal 58: 1032-1050.
- Desai, V. (2014). Does Disclosure Matter? Integrating Organizational Learning and Impression Management Theories to Examine the Impact of Public Disclosure Following Failures. Strategic Organization 12: 85-108.
- Desai, V. (2014). The Impact of Media Information on Issue Salience Following Other Organizations' Failures. Journal of Management 40: 893–918.
- Desai, V. (2012). The Two Faces of Voluntary Disclosure: Quality Improvement and Organizational Learning from Self-Reported Problems. British Journal of Management 23: 344-360.
- Desai, V. (2011). Mass Media and Massive Failures: Determining Organizational Efforts to Defend the Field's Legitimacy following Crises. Academy of Management Journal 54: 263-278.
- Madsen, P. and Desai, V. (2010). Failing to Learn? The Effects of Failure and Success on Organizational Learning in the Global Orbital Launch Vehicle Industry. Academy of Management Journal 53: 451-476.
- Article selected as finalist for 2010 Best Paper Award at the Academy of Management Journal. Featured on Economist.com and on BBC Radio, as well as in other outlets.
- Desai, V. (2008). Constrained Growth: How Experience, Legitimacy, and Age influence Risk Taking in Organizations. Organization Science 19: 594-608.
- Madsen, P., Desai, V., Roberts, K., and Wong, D. (2006). Mitigating Hazards through Continuing Design: The Birth and Evolution of a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Organization Science 17: 239-248.
- Awarded Emerald Management Citation of Excellence, bestowed annually to only fifty articles by an internationally recognized committee of management scholars and practitioners.