- PhD Business, University of Colorado
- MBA, University of Rhode Island
- Marketing Management, BUSN6560
- Services Marketing, MKTG6040
- Marketing Management, CU Executive MBA, XBUS 6350
- Customer Satisfaction, Retention, and Service Quality MKTG6800
- Marketing and Sustainability MKTG6800
Areas of Expertise
- Marketing and Sustainability
- Customer Service Switching Behavior
- Customer Retention
- Service Quality
- Customer Satisfaction
- Buyer Regret
The intersection of theory and practice is the heart of a high-quality business education. Theory is an elegantly simple summary of the story that empirical data has to tell us; business practice is both the source, and the ultimate test of, theory. Theory without practice is pure abstraction; practice without theory is nothing but trial-and-error. But the two together—therein is the key to efficient and effective business strategy. Many people think that theory is the dream and practice is reality. I find the opposite to be true: Theory provides the solid foundation from whence to determine which dreams can become reality, and how.
- Financial Services
- Consumer goods and services marketing
- “The Eyes Have It: How a Car’s Face Influences
Consumer Categorization and Evaluation of Line-extensions,” forthcoming in Psychology and Marketing (with Andreas Herrmann, Rene Befurt, and Jan R. Landwehr).
“The Blame Game: An Attribution Theory Perspective of Conflict between Marketers and Engineers,” Industrial Marketing Management, August 2008.
“Managerial Risk Perceptions of International Entry Mode Strategies:The Interaction Effect of Control and Capability,” International Marketing Review, Vol. 25, No. 3 2008 (with David Forlani and Madhavan Parthasarathy)
“Equines and Their Human Companions,” Journal of Business Research (Special Issue on Humans and Their Animal Companions), May 2008.
“A Model of Buyer Regret: Selected Prepurchase and Postpurchase Antecedents and Consequences for the Brand and the Channel,” Journal of Business Research, December 2007 (with Franz Huber, and Andreas Hermann.
- “The Negative Effects Of Expecting To Evaluate: Reexamination And Extension In The Context Of Service Failure,” Psychology and Marketing, November, 2005 (with Lane, Vicki)
- “Discovering the Soul of Len Berry,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2004.
- “Customer Switching Behavior in On-Line Services: An Exploratory Study of the Role of Selected Attitudinal, Behavioral, and Demographic Factors,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2001 (with Madhavan Parthasarathy).
- “The Services Marketing Course: Experiential Exercises,” Journal of Marketing Education, 2000, (with Gremler, Dwayne D., K. Douglas Hoffman, and Lauren K. Wright).
- "When MTV Goes CEO: What Happens When the 'Unmanageables' Become Managers?" Marketing Management, 1997.
- "Rethinking Student Services: Assessing and Improving Service Quality," The Journal of Marketing in Higher Education, 1996 (with Zammuto, Raymond F, and Edward J. O'Connor).
- "Customer Switching Behavior in Service Industries: An Exploratory Study," Journal of Marketing, 1995.
- "Customer Switching Behavior in Service Industries: An Exploratory Study,” abstract in the Harvard Business Review, January-February, 1996
- "Working Smarter: The Effects of Motivational Orientations on Purchasing Task Selection and Retail Buyer Performance," Journal of Business and Psychology , 1995
- "Involvement, Attributions, and Consumer Responses to Price Promotions," Journal of Business and Psychology, 1995 (with Hunt, Kenneth A., and Moonkyu Lee)
- "Retailer Cooperation with ManufacturerSponsored Promotions: A Framework for Negotiation and Decision-Making," Journal of Promotion Management, 1994 (with Kenneth A. Hunt)
- "A Process Model of the Effects of Price Promotions on Brand Image," Psychology and Marketing, November, 1994 (with Kenneth A. Hunt)
- "Coping with Organizational Role Stress: Intrinsic Motivational Orientations, Perceived Role Benefits, and Psychological Withdrawal," Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science, Spring, 1993 (with James E. Nelson)
- "Attribution Theory as a Framework for Understanding Channel Power Relationships," Journal of Marketing Channels, 1993 (with Hunt, Kenneth A., and Robert Fisher)
- "An Empirical Investigation of Dysfunctional Organizational Turnover Among Chain and Non-chain Retail Store Buyers," Journal of Retailing, Summer, 1992
- "The Conceptualization and Operationalization of Retail Store Image: A Case of Rival Middle Level Theories," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1992 (with Kenneth A. Hunt)
- "Sales Promotion Wars: A Strategic Application o of Attribution Theory," Journal of Promotion Management, 1992 (with Kenneth A. Hunt)
- "Volunteers as Customers: A Service Quality Perspective," Journal of Volunteer Administration, Fall, 1991 (with Marilyn Saltzman and Nancy Sullivan).
- Marketing: An International Perspective. Homewood, Illinois: Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 1987 (with Cateora, Philip R.). Also published in Japanese translation.
- Teacher's Manual for Marketing: An International Perspective. Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin, Inc, 1987 (with Cateora, Philip R.)
- Internationalizing the Principles of Marketing Course: A Resource Guide. The Ohio State Univ: Mershon Center (in conjunction with the AACSB and a U.S Dept. of Education Grant), 1987 (with Cateora, Philip R.).
Selected Consulting Experience
This section highlights graduate student projects in the areas of customer satisfaction, market research, and service quality conducted for Colorado companies. Companies interested in collaborating on a graduate student project should contact Professor Keaveney.
Projects for Not-for-Profits:
Social Services, such as:
- Seniors Inc.
- The Adoption Centre
- Big Brothers of Denver
- Colorado Women's Education & Employment (CWEE)
- Creative Adoptions
- Developmental Pathways
- Denver Dumb Friends League
- Habitat for Humanity
- Very Special Arts of Colorado
- Alta Colleges, Inc. (Westwood College )
- Boulder School of Massage Therapy
- CU-Boulder Bookstore
- Jefferson County Adult Education
- The Adult Literacy Project
- Civic Organizations
- Denver Chamber of Commerce
- Downtown Denver Partnership
- Westminster Library
- Colorado Aids Project
- Belle Bonfils Blood Center
- Boulder Community Hospital
- Colorado Organ Recovery
- Children's Hospital (2)
- Denver General Hospital
- The Ear Center
- Frasier Meadows Manor
- Kaiser Permanente (2)
- National Stroke Assoc. (Rocky Mtn. Chp.)
- Porter Memorial Hospital (Cardiology)
- Provident Health Partners (PHP)
- Rose Medical Center (OB/GYN)
- Sterling Medical Center
- St. Joseph's Hospital
Arts and Culture
- Denver Art Museum (2)
- Denver Children's Museum
- Dillon Amphitheater
- The Denver Zoo (2)
- Sante Fe Art District
Projects for For-Profits:
High Technology—computers, information processing
- Clear Technology
- Cisco Systems
- Hewlett-Packard (multiple divisions)
- Neodata, Inc.
- NBI, Inc.
- Volan Design
Medical, biotech, pharmaceuticals
- Cargill Pharmaceuticals
- Integrated Medical Systems
Consumer goods and services
- Bestop Inc.
- Career 2000
- Celestial Seasonings
- Denver Athletic Club
- Frozen Moments, Inc
- HardCorps, Inc.
- HP Digital Camera Division
- HP HDTV and Consumer Electronics
- Irons Brewery
- Josh & John's
- New Belgium Brewing
- O'Dell's Brewery
- Phil Long Automotive Group
- Tabernash/Left Hand Brewery
- Third Street Chai
- USWest Choice TV
- Colorado Farm Bureau Insurance (CFBI)
- Charles Schwab
- First Horizon Merchant Services
- George K. Baum & Company
- Janus Funds
- Rocky Mtn. Employees Credit Union
Travel and entertainment:
- Candlewood Hotels
- Lady Luck Casino
- Heritage Square
- Hotel Boulderado
- Walnut Brewery
- Aspen Ski Corp.
- Copper Mountain
- HardCorps, Inc
- Volant Skis
- ASEN, Inc. (Adrenaline Sports Entertainment Network)
- The Colorado Avalanche
- The Denver Nuggets (2)
- Pikes Peak Int’l Raceway
- Evoke Communications
- ICG Telecommunications
- Raindance Communications
- Sprint PCS
- USWest Wireless
Business to Business
- American Sigma
- Cornell Supply Company
- Encompass/Riviera Electric
- Gates Rubber Co.
- GE Global Controls Services
- Grainger Industrial Supply
- Guy’s Flooring (2)
- James Company
- Haynes Mechanical
- Intertape Polymer Group
- Kroeschell (Mechanical Eng., Chicago)
- MERILab, Inc
- Micromotion, Inc.
- Mountain Sports Inc. (MSI)
- MSA Mine Safety Appliances, Inc.
- Nanochem Purification/Matheson Trigas
- National Instruments
- Newco PEO Corp.
- PAC International
- The Publishing House
- Standard & Poor’s Compustat
- Stanley Aviation Corp.
- Woodward Industrial Controls
Achievements and Honors
- Wells Fargo Term Professor 2004-2007
- Distinguished Speaker, Queens University in Ontario, Canada, 2001.
- Distinguished Speaker, Swedish School of Economics, Helsinki, Finland, 2000.
- Distinguished Speaker, Universite de Neuchatel, Switzerland, 1999.
- Dean's Scholar Award, University of Colorado at Denver Graduate School of Business for Outstanding Research, 1998
- Award for Outstanding Commitment to Students, University of Colorado at Denver Graduate School of Business, 1997
- Best Services Article in 1995, American Marketing Association's Services Special Interest Group, 1996
- Award for Outstanding Commitment to Students, University of Colorado at Denver Graduate School of Business, 1993
- Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year, University of Colorado at Denver College of Business Administration and Graduate School of Business Administration, 1993
- Outstanding Service Award, University of Colorado at Denver College of Business Administration and Graduate School of Business Administration, 1992
- CU-Denver Teacher of the Year, University of Colorado at Denver Campus-Wide Award, 1989
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year, College of Business Administration of the University of Colorado at Denver, 1989
Selected Academic and Professional Activities
- American Marketing Association: Servsig Officer, Program Chair (2005-2007)
- Editorial Board: Journal of Business Research (2004-present); Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science from 1997-2004 to 1997-present.
- Reviewer: Various scholarly journals
- American Marketing Association: Chair of Services Special Interest Group (SERVSIG) 2000
-2002; Conference Co-Chair for the American Marketing Association Services Special Interest Group (SERVSIG) Bi-annual International Services Marketing Conference in Reims, France, June 12-14, 2003; Services Marketing Track Chair Annual Summer Educator’s Conference 2000.
- Academy of Marketing Science: Services Marketing Track Chair 2001 Annual Conference.