Mary Malina | Associate Professor of Accounting
- ACCT 2220, Managerial Accounting
- BUSN 6550, Analyzing and Interpreting Accounting Information
Areas of Expertise
- Performance measurement, subjectivity in performance evaluation, field studies
- Associate Professor, University of Colorado Denver, 2014 - present
- Assistant Professor, University of Colorado Denver, 2007 - 2014
- Assistant Professor, University of Vermont
- Assistant Professor, Naval Postgraduate School
- Visiting Academic, University of Melbourne
- Cost Analyst, Boehringer Mannheim Corporation
- Financial Accountant, Blue Cross Blue Shield
- PhD in Accounting, University of Colorado Boulder
- MBA, Butler University
- BBA, Accounting Major, Saint Mary's College
- Malina, M.A. and F. H. Selto. Behavioral economic nudges and performance measurement models. Forthcoming in Journal of Management Accounting Research.
- Burns, J., K. J. Euske, and M. A. Malina. (2014). Debating diversity in management accounting research. Advances in Management Accounting 24: 39-59.
- Euske, K.J. and M. A. Malina. (2013). Transfer of performance measurement innovations across economic sectors. Advances in Management Accounting 22: 25-42.
- Malina, M. A. (2013). The evolution of a balanced scorecard. Journal of Applied Business Research 29(3): 901-912.
- Euske, K.J., J. W. Hesford, and M. A. Malina. (2011). A social network analysis of the literature on management control. Journal of Management Accounting Research 23(1): 259-283.
- Malina, M. A., H. S. O. Norreklit, and F. H. Selto. (2011). Lessons learned: Advantages and disadvantages of mixed method research. Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management 8(1): 59-71.
- Johnston, Derek and Mary A. Malina. Managing Sexual Orientation Diversity: The Impact on Firm Value. Group & Organization Management. 33 (2008): 602-625.
- Malina, Mary A., Hanne Norreklit, and Frank H. Selto. Relations Among Measures, Result Control and Performance Measurement Models. Contemporary Accounting Research. 24 (2007): 935-982.
- Abernethy, Margaret, Malcolm Horne, Anne Lillis, Mary A. Malina, and Frank H. Selto. A Multi-method Approach to Building Causal Performance Maps from Expert Knowledge. Management Accounting Research 16 (2005): 135-155.
- Euske, K.J. and Mary A. Malina. The Pyramid of Organizational Development as a Performance Measurement Model. Advances in Management Accounting 14 (2005): 88-97.
- Malina, Mary A. and Frank H. Selto. Choice and Change of Measures in Performance Measurement Models. Management Accounting Research 15 (2004): 441-60.
- Malina, Mary A. and Frank H. Selto. Communicating and Controlling Strategy: An Empirical Study of the Effectiveness of the Balanced Scorecard. Journal of Management Accounting Research 13 (2001): 47-90.
Achievements and Honors
- Editor, Advances in Management Accounting, 2014 - present
- 2012 Outstanding Paper, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management
- Best Paper of 2005, Management Accounting Research