- PhD Management, Information Systems and Accounting, Purdue University, 1982
- M.S. Computer Science, Purdue University, 1979
- B.S. Math-Computer, St. Joseph's College, 1974
- Object-Oriented Business Programming
- Emerging Technologies
- Fundamentals of ISMG Theory and Practice
Areas of Expertise
- Information Systems Development
- Technology Assessment
- IT Management
Areas of Research
- Open Source Software
- Self-Service Technologies
- Information Privacy
- Professor of Business, University of Colorado at Denver, 2000 - present
- E-Business MBA Director, 1999-2000
- Area Coordinator, Information Systems, 1991-1994
- Associate Professor of Business, University of Colorado at Denver, 1990 - 2000
- Assistant Professor of Business, University of Colorado at Denver, 1984 - 1990
- Assistant Professor, University of British Columbia, 1982 to 1984
- J.H. Gerlach, C. Wu, L. Cunningham, and C Young, “An Exploratory Study of Conflict Over Paying Debian Developers”, International Journal of Open Source Software Processes, Vol. 7, No. 3, forthcoming.
- C.S. Lin, J.H. Gerlach, and F.Y. Kuo, “Investigating Moral Muteness of Local Management Impact on IS Professionals’ Privacy Decision Making,” Journal of Global Information Management, forthcoming.
- C. Wu, J.H. Gerlach and C. Young, “Examining the Determinants of Effort among Open Source Software Volunteer Developers”, International Journal of Information and Decision Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2013, pp. 117- 139.
- C. Wu, J.H. Gerlach and C. Young, “The Influence of Open Source Software Developers’ Motivations on Satisfaction, Commitment, and Persistence: A Continuation Model”, International Journal of Open Source Software and Processes, Volume 3, Issue 4, 2011, pp. 24-48.
- B. Neumann, J.H. Gerlach and K. Hyo-Jeong, “Unmet Public Expectations, Pay It Now or Pay It Later: Lessons Learned from the Colorado Benefits Management System (CBMS)”, International Journal of Public Information Systems, Number 1, 2010, pp. 83 – 109.
- J.H. Gerlach, F.Y. Kuo and C.S. Lin, “Self-Sanction and Regulative Sanction against Copyright Infringement: A Comparison between US and China College Students,” Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Volume 60, Issue 8, 2009, pp. 1687 – 1701.
- L. Cunningham, J.H. Gerlach, M. Harper, and D. L. Kellogg, “Perceived Risk for Multiple Services in the Consumer Buying Cycle”, International Journal of Information Systems in the Service Sector, Vol. 1, Issue 4, 2009, pp. 33-49.
- L. Cunningham, C. Young and J.H. Gerlach, “A Comparison of Consumer Views of Traditional Services and Self-Service Technologies, Journal of Services Marketing, Volume 23, Issue 1, 2009, pp. 11-23.
- L. Cunningham, C. Young and J.H. Gerlach, “Consumer Views of Self-Service Technologies,” Services Industries Journal, Volume 28, Issue 6, July 2008, pp. 719 – 732.
- C. Wu, J.H. Gerlach, and C. Young, "An Empirical Analysis of Open Source Software Developers' Motivations and Continuance Intentions,” Information & Management, Vol. 44, Issue 3, April 2007, pp. 253-262.
- L. Cunningham, J. Gerlach, M. Harper, “Perceived Risk and E-Banking Services: An Analysis from the Perspective of the Consumer”, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, Vol. 10, No. 2, 2005, pp. 165-178.
- L. Cunningham, J. Gerlach, M. Harper, and C. Young, “Perceived Risk and the Consumer Buying Process: Internet Airline Reservations,” International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2005, pp. 357-372.
- L. Cunningham, J. Gerlach, M. Harper, "Assessing Perceived Risk of Consumers in Internet Airline Reservation Services," Journal of Air Transportation, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2004, pp. 21-35.
- B. Neumann, J. Gerlach, E. Moldauer, M. Finch, and C. Olson, “Cost Management Using ABC for IT Activities and Services”, Management Accounting Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2004.
- J. H. Gerlach, B. Neumann, E. Moldauer, M. Argo, and D. Frisby "Determining the Cost of IT Services", Communications of the ACM, Vol. 45, No. 9, 2002, pp. 61 – 67.
- A. Bhattacherjee and J.H.Gerlach, "A Hybrid Approach to OO Development: The SUMMITrak Project at TCI," Journal of Systems and Software, Vol. 57, No. 2, 2001, pp. 91-98.
- A. Bhattacherjee and J.H. Gerlach, "Understanding and Managing OOT Adoption,” IEEE Software, May/June 1998.
- L.F. Cunningham and J.H. Gerlach, “Transportation Agencies’ Experiences with Decision Support Systems for Airport Ground Access Planning, Transportation, 1998, Vol. 25, 1998, pp. 37-53.
- J.H. Gerlach and F. Kuo, "Understanding Human-Computer Interaction for Information Systems Design," MIS Quarterly, Dec. 1991, pp. 527-549.
- J.H. Gerlach and F. Kuo, "The Formal Development of Hybrid User Computer Interfaces with Advanced Forms of User Assistance," Journal of Systems and Software, Nov. 1991, pp. 169-184.
- J.H. Gerlach and F. Kuo, "An Approach to Dialog Management for Presentation and Manipulation of Composite Models in Decision Support Systems," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 6, No. 3, Aug. 1990, pp. 227 242.
- J.H. Gerlach, "A Model for Testing the Reliability of Computer Programs and EDP Management: Internal Control Implications," Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Spring 1988, pp. 61 76.
- A.D. Bailey, Jr., G.D. Duke, J.H. Gerlach, C. Ko, R. Meservy, and A.B. Whinston, "TICOM and the Analysis of Internal Controls," The Accounting Review, April 1985, pp. 186 201.
- A.D. Bailey, Jr., J.H. Gerlach, R.P. McAfee, and A.B. Whinston, "An OIS Model for Internal Accounting Control Evaluation," ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, January 1983, pp. 25 44.
- A.D. Bailey, Jr., J.H. Gerlach, R.P. McAfee, and A.B. Whinston, "Internal Accounting Controls in the Office of the Future," IEEE Computer, May 1981, pp. 59 70.
Achievements and Honors:
- Dean’s Scholar, University of Colorado at Denver, 1994
- Outstanding Service Award, University of Colorado at Denver, 1994