- MBA, University of New Orleans
- MA Sociology, University of New Orleans
- MS Psychology (industrial/organizational emphasis), Tulane University
- BS, Cum Laude, Psychology Louisiana State University
- Financial Accounting ACCT2200
- Managerial Accounting ACCT2220
- Principles of Finance FNCE3000
- Introduction to Risk Management and Insurance FNCE3809
- Analyzing And Interpreting Accounting Information BUSN6550
- Financial Management BUSN6640
- Intro To Personal Financial Planning For Individuals And Self-Employed Entrepreneurs
Here's how finance students have described this instructor’s approach to teaching:
"Mr. Eric has amazing presence in class – always engaging and interesting." (BUSN 6640, Spring 2011 FCQ comment) "Who knew finance could be this fun!" (BUSN 6640, Spring 2011 FCQ comment)
"The tests are excruciating. Despite the level of difficulty, Mr. Eric is an exceptional instructor." (BUSN 6640, Summer 2010 FCQ comment)
"The ONLY [online] instructor I have had that took the time to video tape lectures and prepare students for exams by providing them with the notes necessary to do well on them." (FNCE 3000 On-Line, Spring 2010 FCQ comment)
This is what accounting students have said:
"I’m exiting the course with a lot of concrete knowledge I didn’t have upon entering that I can use in my business. We literally used every minute of class time." (BUSN 6550, Spring 2011 FCQ comment)
"He wants everyone to succeed but really pushes us. He demands success from us but is very willing to help us achieve that." (BUSN 6550, Spring 2010 FCQ comment)
"I expected accounting to be boring and dry and was definitely surprised. Mr. Eric does a great job explaining the material and making sure everyone understands. He also makes the class entertaining so that it is easy to stay focused on the lecture. This was probably the best course I have ever taken." (BUSN 6550, Spring 2011 FCQ comment)
Raised on the edge of New Orleans surrounded by a swamp full of catfish and water moccasins, Eric Reiner received his MBA three weeks after turning 22. He began professional life as an accountant at a publicly traded company but then reinvented himself as a college teacher and freelance writer upon relocating to Colorado in 1991.
Along the way he launched his own tax-accounting practice, which he operated for 25 years, and he was also involved in the music and entertainment industries for 15 years. That stint included managing Boulder’s tuxedoed violin-and-guitar duo Watson & Edge (later Watson & Company) as well as hosting a weekday-morning talk-radio show in Boulder as "Mr. Eric," a handle students still know him by. In 1995 he began contributing entertainment articles to The Denver Post and soon thereafter the Albuquerque Journal. The long list of musicians he interviewed over the ensuing decade includes the composers of such enduring rock classics as "Come Sail Away," "(Don’t Fear) The Reaper," "I Can’t Fight This Feeling" and "I Want You To Want Me," along with Nashville stars Kenny Chesney and Travis Tritt, plus metal gods Lemmy (of Motorhead) and the late Ronnie James Dio.
Since students often ask -
Favorite Southern Rock Bands: The Marshall Tucker Band , Lynyrd Skynyrd (original and late-‘90s/early-‘00s line-ups), Molly Hatchet, Atlanta Rhythm Section
Favorite Colorado Artists: Big Head Todd & The Monsters, Chuck "Spirit of Colorado" Pyle, Poco, The Samples
Eric Reiner currently contributes to two magazines for practitioners, Financial Advisor and Private Wealth., and their e-newsletters FA News and PW News. His recent publications include the following:
"Reasons To Be In Commodities Now." Financial Advisor, Mar. 2014.
- "Show Time: 2013 Tax Returns Are Shining The Spotlight On Clients’ Portfolios." Financial Advisor, Feb. 2014.
- "Overseas Tax Havens Toppled By IRS." PW News, Jan. 7, 2014.
- "Final Regs Cut Investment-Income Surtax For Some." Financial Advisor, Jan. 2014.
- "A Step Ahead: M Financial Has Grown Its Ultra-Affluent Life Insurance Business Since The 2008 Crash By Anticipating Demand." Private Wealth, Nov. - Dec. 2013.
- "IRS Closes In On Secret Caribbean Accounts." FA News, June 4, 2013
- "Taxes Ahead: The New Tax Rules For Trusts And Estates Could Have Been Worse." Financial Advisor, May 2013.
- "Tax Me, I’m Rich! A Group of Wealthy Individuals Who Call Themselves Patriotic Millionaires Wants The Rich To Pay More Taxes To Support The Middle Class, America And Themselves." Private Wealth, Mar.-Apr. 2013.
- "Minimizing The Bite: This Year’s Higher Tax Rates Demand Revisiting Investment Plans." Financial Advisor, Mar. 2013.
- "Attack Of The Zombie Tax Strategies: Suddenly Revived Rules Will Haunt 2012 Tax Returns." Financial Advisor, Feb. 2013.
- "Did Romney Pay Too Much Federal Tax?" FA News, Oct. 2, 2012.
- "The Winds Of Limbo Roar: Next Year’s Tax Rules Could Change Before, Or After, 2013 Arrives." Financial Advisor, Oct. 2012.
- "Absorbing Body Blows: Health-Care Reform Jabs At Affluent Clients And Business Owners From Multiple Angles." Private Wealth, Sept.-Oct. 2012.
- "Jive Talkin’: Even If The Next President Carries Out His Tax Proposals, The Economic Impact Could Be Different From What’s Promised." Financial Advisor, Sept. 2012.
- "Out Of The Ashes: CPA Robert Keebler Is Leading Keebler & Associates LLP To The Cutting Edge Of Tax And Estate Planning." Financial Advisor, May 2012.