- Financial Accounting ACCT 2200
- Managerial Accounting ACCT 2220
- Managerial accounting, performance measurement and health care financial management
- Expert witness and litigation support in accounting, financial management, hospital and nursing home payment and reimbursement systems, statistics, financial modeling, and performance measurement systems
Books and Book Chapters
- Innovative and user-oriented 3-volume accounting text: Using Financial Accounting: The Smart Guide to Financial Analysis, Kendall Hunt, 2004
- "Determining the Cost of IT Activities & Services,” Communications of the ACM, September 2002
- “Cost Management using ABC for IT Activities and Services,” Management Accounting Quarterly, Fall, 2004
- “Streamlining Budgeting in the New Millennium,” Strategic Finance, December 2001
Dr. Neumann is author or coauthor of numerous articles as well as two texts on basic accounting. He designed and published a uniform chart of accounts for medical group practices, as well as a system for paying hospitals for prospective capital costs. He has also served on the board or as president of several community groups. Dr. Neumann’s research interests include cost efficiency analyses, reimbursement under Medicare and Medicaid, public policy analyses, and analyses of cost behavior patterns.
Dr. Neumann’s primary research interests focus on analyses of costs in public and private organizations, and on behavioral issues related in the interpretation and use of financial reports. His work has appeared in the Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Accountancy, Management Accounting, and Accounting and Business Research. Professor Neumann has co-authored two introductory accounting texts, Accounting for Managers and Investors (1992) and Using Financial Accounting: An Introduction (2000). He has also co-authored two books on financial management for health care organizations (Management Accounting for Health Care Organizations, 1998 and Financial Management: Concepts and Applications for Health Care Organizations, 2002). Dr. Neumann has served three terms as Director of Accounting Programs at CU Denver. Dr. Neumann has also written instructional software for micro-computers.
Dr. Neumann has extensive research and consulting interest in health care financial management, with numerous articles in health care journals such as Healthcare Financial Management, Health Care Management Review, Health Service Journal (UK), and Journal of Long-term Care Administration. Dr. Neumann serves as an expert witness in cases involving Medicaid payment to long-term care providers. His litigation support work encompasses depreciation and interest costs, cost allocation issues, and analyses of cost behavior patterns. He has conducted several studies of health care occupancy cases. He has testified before an ALJ in four cases and he has been deposed in numerous other cases.
Achievements and Honors
- Price water house Coopers Term Professor of Accounting and Health Management