- PhD Sociology, University of Chicago
- MA Sociology, University of Chicago
- BA Economics, University of California at Santa Cruz
- Managing Individuals and Teams, Health Section, BUSN6521
- International Health Policy and Managment, HLTH6070/XHTH6280
- International Health Travel Study, Vietnam, Thailand and China, HLTH6075
- Managing People for Competitive Advantage, MGMT6380
Areas of Expertise
- Access to health care
- Health system change issues
Experiential learning, exposing students to new developments and challenging students to develop passion toward a particular focus that brings value to community health concerns.
Areas of Research
- Access to Health Care
- Health Services Delivery
- Social Responsibility for Multinational Corporations
- Employee Satisfaction and Retention
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- International Health Reform Policy
- Associate Director, Center for Global Heath, University of Colorado, Denver and Health Sciences Center (2005 – present). CGH Website
- Director, Center for Global Health, University of Colorado at Denver (2002 – 2005).
- Director, Management Area, Business School (2004 – present)
- Associate Professor, Management and Health Administration, Business School, University of Colorado at Denver(2000 – present).
- Assistant Professor, Management and Health Administration, Business School, University of Colorado at Denver (1993 – 2000).
- Associate Professor, Clinical Sciences Program, School of Medicine, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, University of Colorado, Denver and Health Sciences Cente (2001 – present).
- Adjunct Faculty, Health and Behavioral Sciences program, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, University of Colorado, Denver and Health Sciences Center (1995 – present).
- Visiting Professor, Department of Sociology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois (2000 – 2001).
- Visiting Scholar, Institute for Health Services and Policy Research,Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois (2000 – 2001).
- Visiting Fellow, Department of Health Management, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia (2001).
- Robert E. Park Lecturer, Department of Sociology, University of Chicago (1992).
- Research Project Professional, Center for Health Administration Studies, University of Chicago (1991 - 1992).
- Director of Organizational Studies, Hospital Research and Educational Trust, American Hospital Association (1990 - 1991).
- Research Associate, Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Northwestern University, (1986 - 1990).
- Research Assistant, Hospital Research and Educational Trust, American Hospital Association (1985).
- Research Assistant, National Study of Internal Medicine Manpower, University of Chicago Medical School (1983 - 1984).
- "Characteristics of Chinese Healthcare Facilities: A Comparison of Chinese Hospitals to the International Market.” Journal of Healthcare Management (forthcoming), (with Wood, D), 2005.
- “Strategies to Enter the Burgeoning Private Hospital Market in China.” Advances in Healthcare Management, (with Wood, D), 2005.
- “Unforseen Policy Effects on the Safety Net: Medicaid, Private Hospitals Closures and the Use of Local VAMCs.” Research in the Sociology of Health Care, (with Manheim, LM & Cowper, D.) 2002.
- “The Relationship Between Hospital Unit Culture and Nurses’ Quality of Work Life.” Journal of Healthcare Management, (with Zammuto, RM & Goodman, E. ), 2002.
- “Quality of Care in a Medicaid Managed Care Program: Adequacy of Prenatal Care for Teens in Chicago?” Public Health Nursing, 2001.
- “New Factors in the Antitrust Regulation of Hospital Mergers.” Journal of Healthcare Management, 1999.
- “Obstetricians’ Receptiveness to Teen Prenatal Patients Who Are Medicaid Recipients,” Health Services Research, 1997.
- “Physicians and the Strategic Management of Hospitals: Lessons From the Past.” Research in the Sociology of Health Care, 1996.
- “Gatekeepers and the Medical Specialist: The Impact of Managed Care on Rheumatologists.” American Association of Preferred Provider Organizations, (with Feinglass J., Schroeder J., Manheim L. ) 1992.
- “Modeling Hospital Closure Relative to Organizational Theory,” Social Science and Medicine, (with Mullner, RM.), 1988.
- "The Effects of Corporate Restructuring on Hospital Policy Making," Health Services Research, (with Alexander, JA, Morlock, LL ) 1988.
Work in progress
- New Models of Social Responsibility by American Multinational Corporations
- Competencies of Health Care Leadership
- Is There a Growing Demand for Western-based Health Facilities In China?
- Development of Health Management Techniques for Health Facilities in Developing Nations
Over 40 presentations in the last 10 years, ranging from refereed academic conferences to invited lectures to presentations at community groups.
- Newmont Mining – Health Assessment in Ghana
- Chinese Hospital – San Francisco
- Capitis Healthcare International
Achievements and Honors
- Educational Director, Capitis Healthcare International (China programs), 2005.
- Colorado International Organization award recipient, University of Denver and UNICEF (Center for Global Health at CU), 2005
- Chair, World Community Services Committee, Denver Rotary Club, 2004-present
- Chair, Health Concerns Task Force, Rotary District 5450, Colorado, 2003-2005.
- Director and Founder, Center for Global Health, University of Colorado at Denver, 2002-present.
- Associate Professor (Special Appointment), Clinical Sciences Department, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 2001
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International Foundation, 2001
- Visiting Fellow, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia, 2001
- One Year Faculty Fellowship, University of Colorado at Denver, 2000-2001
- Visiting Scholar, Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Northwestern, Northwestern University, 2000-2001.
- Robert E. Park Lectureship, Department of Sociology, University of Chicago, 2000.
- Board Chair, Denver Architecture Foundation, American Institute of Architects, 1994-1999.
- Academy of International Business
- International Sociological Association
- American College of Health Care Executives
- Health Services Research Association