Ph.D., Management Science, University of Colorado
BS, Electrical Engineering, University of Colorado
- Management of Operations BUSN6630
- Linear Programming
- Project Management
Areas of Expertise
I’ve worked in and written about a variety of Operations Research topics. In general, my work has to do with building formal mathematical models that can be used to assist in decision making.
Areas of Research
For the most part, my research has to do with applied optimization of one kind or another.
In the early part of my career I worked primarily in the area of nonlinear programming with a particular specialty in Geometric Programming.
In recent years, my interest has shifted to discrete mathematics where much of my work has focused on the modeling and solving of combinatorial optimization problems. These problems arise in many industrial settings and typically pose substantial computational challenges. Much of my efforts here are concerned with designing and testing new algorithms for solving these problems.
- Operations Research for Managerial Decisions, Richard D. Irwin, 1972 (with Don Plane).
- Management Science: Text and Applications, Richard D. Irwin, Inc. 1978 (with J. Dinkel and Don Plane).
- Handbook of Metaheuristics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston/Dordrecht/London/, 2003 (edited with Fred Glover).
- “Vendor Selection to Support New Products: A Methodology Allowing for Learning Effects,” Journal of Combinatorics, Information, and System Sciences , 2000 (with Tom Obremski).
- “Greedy Solutions of Selection and Ordering Problems, European Journal of OR, 2001 (with B. Alidaee)
- “Solving Quadratic Knapsack Problems by Reformulation and Tabu Search: Single Constraint Case,” Combinatorial and Global Optimization, (eds) P.M. Pardalos, A. Migdalas, and R. Burkard, World Scientific Publishing Co., 2002. (with F. Glover, B. Alidaee, and M. Amini)
- “One –Pass Heuristics for Large-Scale Unconstrained Binary Quadratic Optimization,” European Journal of OR, 2002 (with F. Glover, B. Alidaee, and C. Rego).
- “An Effective Approach for solving the binary Assignment Problem with side Constraints,” International Journal of Information Technology and Decision Making, 2002 (with Fred Glover and Bahram Alidaee)
- “A Unified Modeling and Solution Framework for Combinatorial Optimization Problems,” OR Spectrum, March 2004 (with F. Glover, B. Alidaee and C. Rego)
- “ A New Modeling and Solution Approach for the Number Partitioning Problem,” J. of Applied Mathematics & Decision Sciences, 2005 (with Glover, Alidaee & Rego)
- “Using xQx to Model and Solve the Uncapacitated Task Allocation Problem,” OR Letters, 2005 (with M. Lewis & B. Alidaee)
- “ A Note on a Simple Dynamic Programming Approach to the Single Sink Fixed Charge Transportation Problem,” TRANSPORTATION SCIENCE, February 2000 (with B.Alidaee
- “Metaheuristic Agent Processes (MAPS),” Invited paper, Metaheuristics: Progress as Real Problem Solvers, (2005), ed. T. Ibaraki, K. Nonobe, and M. Yagiura, Springer Publishers, (with Fred Glover)
- “An Unconstrained Quadratic Binary Approach to the Vertex Coloring Problem,” Annals of OR, 2005 (with F. Glover, B. Alidaee, and C. Rego)
- “Using the Unconstrained Quadratic Program to Model and Solve Max 2-Sat Problems,” International Journal of Operational Research, 2005 (with Glover, Alidaee and Lewis)
- “Clustering of Microarray data via Clique Partitioning,” Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, 2005 (with F. Glover, B. Alidaee, and H. Wang)
- “Parametric Ghost Image Processes for Fixed-Charge Problems: A Study of Transportation Networks,” Journal of Heuristics , 2005 (with F. Glover and M. Amini)