The Integrated Food Safety Centers of Excellence were established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). The Centers of Excellence provide assistance and training to state and local health departments to build their capacity to track and investigate foodborne disease. CDC named Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, New York, Oregon, and Tennessee state health departments and their partner academic institutions as regional Centers of Excellence. The mission is to build capacity by developing and providing online and in-person resources, training, and assistance for foodborne illness surveillance and investigation.
With CDC's support, the Centers of Excellence aim to:
- Strengthen surveillance and outbreak investigations
- Analyze timeliness and effectiveness of responses
- Train public health staff in proven surveillance and investigation techniques
- Educate future food safety workforce
- Improve capacity of information systems
- Evaluate and communicate best practices
What we do in Colorado
The Colorado Integrated Food Safety Center of Excellence is a joint effort between the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Colorado School of Public Health at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus and Colorado State University. In Colorado, we focus on regional collaboration and providing tools for local health departments. Our region includes Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming. We have many tools, resources, and services to aid investigators during an outbreak:
- In-person trainings, including Applied Outbreak Investigation, an applied intermediate training for local health departments,
- Online trainings, including ECHO Learning Communities, which connects practitioners with each other via bidirectional video to focus on a specific issue in outbreak investigations,
- Online tools, including the Food Source Information Wiki, a resource to find food production practices for foods associated with outbreaks,
- Evaluation and facilitation, including CIFOR Performance Measures and Outbreak Hotwashes,
And much more! Explore our website, or contact us for additional information.