The Tribal Early Childhood Research
Center (TRC) seeks to partner with American Indian and Alaska Native
communities, programs, practitioners, and researchers to advance research into
young children’s development and early childhood programs and to facilitate the
translation of research findings to inform early childhood practice with American
Indian and Alaska Native children and families.
Research on American Indian and Alaska Native children’s early development (birth to five) is nascent. Though important studies of young American Indian and Alaska Native children’s development are beginning to appear in the literature, research gaps remain substantial. The TRC seeks to lessen this gap by partnering with tribal Head Start, Early Head Start, and Maternal, Infant, Early Childhood Home Visiting (MIECHV), and Child Care (CC) programs and engaging in the following activities:
- Collaborating with key early childhood stakeholders and tribal Head Start, Early Head Start, and MIECHV programs to foster a vibrant community of learning
- Promoting research, particularly in the area of measurement development
- Enhancing early childhood program evaluation and research-to-practice activities
- Disseminating the collective work of the TRC broadly
- Training the next generation of researchers to work collaboratively with American Indian and Alaska Native communities to carry out research on early development and early childhood programs
The TRC operates in partnership with tribal early childhood programs and community members and draws upon the faculty and staff of University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus’ Centers for American Indian and Alaska Native Health, the Johns Hopkins University’s Center for American Indian Health, Michigan State University’s Office of University Outreach and Engagement, the Administration for Children and Families Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation , and a national network of early childhood researchers.
The TRC is funded by the Administration for Children and Families, Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation (90PH0017).