Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver


Non-Degree Application for ColoradoSPH

Admissions Requirements and Process

General Information
Who is a non-degree student?

A "non-degree student" is a student who registers for courses but who is not enrolled in an official degree or certificate program at the Colorado School of Public Health. In order to be considered for a seat in a class, all non-degree students must submit a Course Permission Form signed by the teaching faculty. 

Please note: If you intend on applying to any of our Certificate or Master Degree Programs, no more than 9 credits of non-degree coursework with a B- or better will be applied to your program if accepted.

Unless otherwise noted, all non-degree courses are offered at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.​

Where are non-degree programs offered?

Colorado School of Public Health's non-degree students may register for classes at the University of Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.

Residency Status

Residency status will be determined during the application process. Complete all dates requested in the application. Failure to do so may result in you being classified as out-of-state.

How to establish residency

Active duty military, or dependents of active duty military, not claiming Colorado residency must submit this completed Military Certification Form.

Tuition and Costs

Click Here for Tuition Rates 

  • A one-time matriculation fee of $140 is charged for first time enrollment at any University of Colorado campus.
  • A $50 application fee is charged to apply for non-degree status. If more than 3 semesters has elapsed since taking courses in non-degree status, the student must reapply and repay the non-degree application fee.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid, student loans, scholarships or tuition assistance.
  • Non-degree students may use an employee tuition waiver if eligible. See waiver rules and instructions. Waiver students are not allowed to enroll in courses until the first day of classes.  Employees may be disqualified for current and future participation in the tuition waiver program if enrollment occurs prior to first day of classes. It is also not allowable to enroll before the first day of classes and then drop the class and re-enroll on the first day of classes under the tuition waiver benefit.

Other General Information

  • Courses at ColoradoSPH may not be audited. However, a student may register for a course for no credit and pay the full tuition and fees. Students must designate “No Credit” by the appropriate deadlines as set forth by the Registrar’s Office. No Credit forms are available from the CU Anschutz Medical Campus Registrar’s Office.
  • Students currently enrolled in a non-ColoradoSPH program must obtain permission from their Department Chairperson or Academic Advisor to register for a non-degree course.
  • If you enroll in a ColoradoSPH MPH or Certificate Program at a later date, a total of 9 credit hours taken as non-degree student may be applied to the program. You must receive a grade of B- or better to apply credits.

Instructions for Applying and Registering as a Non-Degree Student

Spring 16 Application Cycle: October 19, 2015 - January 29, 2016

Starting​ with Summer Semester 2014, we will be utilizing an online system for non-degree application and registration. If you encounter difficulties completing the application and registration process, please email Student Affairs for assistance.

Non-degree students on the Anschutz Medical Campus register in one of three schools/colleges depending on the course they wish to take. It is important to follow the correct instructions and complete the appropriate application for the non-degree course(s) that you want. Students interested in apply to and registering for courses in the basic biomedical sciences should do so using the non-degree application offered through the Graduate School.

Any student who has taken a Colorado School of Public Health course as a non-degree student in the last three semesters should skip steps 1-2 and start with step 3.


STEP 1:  If you have not taken any ColoradoSPH courses as a non-degree student in the past three semesters, you must start by applying to receive non-degree student status with the Colorado School of Public Health. Click here to complete the initial step of applying, which includes entering your personal information (e.g., name, birthdate, etc.). Following your completion of step 1, the registration system will conduct a search to determine if you have an existing record at the University of Colorado. 

Within 24 hours (or longer if a weekend is included), you will receive a username and password in two separate emails. These will allow you to complete the application process. From here you can move to step 2 and complete the rest of the application.


STEP 2:  Once you receive your username and password, log in here

Select the following options when completing the application: 

           Career:  “Graduate Non-degree”

           Campus: “Anschutz Medical Campus” (includes CU Denver South if taking courses there)

           Field of Study: “School of Public Health Non-Degree Application”

           Admit Term:  Select the term you wish to start taking courses

           I am a:  “Non-Degree”

Complete all other information, save, and submit the form. A confirmation will be sent once the form is submitted. You are also required to submit a check for the $50 application fee, made payable to the University of Colorado and delivered to ColoradoSPH Student Affairs Office, 13001 E. 17th Place, Room E3360/Box B-119, Aurora, CO 80045. 


STEP 3:  To enroll in a course, download the Permission Form

This is a fillable PDF, which allows for electronic signatures. Complete the form and obtain the instructors’ signatures* indicating their permission for you to take the courses. Applicants must present to the instructor responsible for the course, documentation of sufficient academic background to show adequate preparedness for the course in question. Obtaining the instructors’ permission does not assure your registration in the courses. 

After obtaining the instructors’ signatures, submit the form to the Office of Student Affairs at the ColoradoSPH (Building 500, 3rd Floor, Room E3360) or email to

*Please note: If you are intending to enroll in courses at the CU South Denver campus, you do NOT need to obtain instructor signatures. 


STEP 4:  Starting one week before the start of classes for the semester**, you may register for the courses using the online registration system UCD Access.

If a course is full, you will be able to enter the waitlist for the course. Check back frequently to see if you have been enrolled in the course from the waitlist as you will not receive an email confirmation that you have moved from the waitlist into the course. The drop/add deadline for each semester is published in the academic calendar.

You have until this date to add or drop courses. A late fee of $60.00 will be assessed for registration after the drop/add deadline. After the drop/add deadline, you must obtain the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs permission to withdraw from a class.  

**Please note​​: If you are registering for courses on the CU South Denver campus, you will receive an email to give you earlier access to the registration system. This email will arrive within two weeks after you submit the Permission Form in step 3 above. 


STEP 5:  By email, you will receive a bill from the Bursar’s Office for the courses.  You must pay for the courses by the stated deadline, which is 2 weeks after the start of classes.

If a class is dropped after the drop/add deadline, a “W” will appear on the official transcript and the student will be responsible for paying the full tuition and fees for the course.  Dropping courses after the drop/add deadlines will result in 0% tuition reimbursement.


© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.