The Colorado School of Public Health is uniquely defined by our history, collaborative identity and collective strengths. Each day our faculty, students, alumni, and community partners work together to fulfill a commitment to protect and promote health across Colorado, nationally, and globally. Our history in collaborative partnership is defining our future.
We invite you to get to know the Colorado School of Public Health.
Founded: July 1, 2008
Dean: Jon Samet, MD, MS
Institutions and Campuses
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (Aurora, Colo.)
- Colorado State University (Fort Collins, Colo.)
- University of Northern Colorado (Greeley, Colo.)
- Biostatistics and Informatics
- Community and Behavioral Health
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Health Systems, Management and Policy
Student Enrollment (Fall 2016)
- MPH | 486 students
- MS | 38 students
- DrPH | 21 students
- PhD | 49 students
- Certificates | 77 students
- Non-degree | 48 students
Post-Graduate Employment (Spring 2015)
- MPH | 91% employed, 6% continuing education/training, 2% actively seeking employement
- MS | 86% employed, 14% continuing education/training
- PhD | 100% employed
- Distinguished Professors | 1
- Professors | 59
- Associate Professors | 52
- Assistant Professors | 55
- Research Professors | 13
- Adjunct Professors | 35
- Adjunct Associate Professors | 73
- Clinical Professors | 8
- Clinical Assistant Professors | 24
- Clinical Instructors | 8
- Instructors | 17
- Research Instructors | 16
- Adjunct Instructors | 15
- PRAs | 88
- Research Associates | 9
- Postdoctoral Fellows | 1
Points of Pride
- The first accredited and only collaborative school of public health in the region.
- In partnership with Children's Hospital Colorado, home to a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Center on Promoting Family and Child Health.
- $4.1 Million Association of Public Health Laboratories collaboration on newborn screening.
- Home to CDC, HRSA and NIOSH nationally-funded research and training centers.
Get to know other points of pride through our Strategic Initiatives and Strengths.
The school officially opened on July 1, 2008, following decades of dedicated development. Planning for the school was initiated by a partnership of public health practitioners, academics, and business leaders. The partnership formed an official taskforce in 2002 in order to develop a strategic plan and seek the funding necessary to open a school of public health. The task force was successful and instrumental in the decision to open the school as a collaboration. In late 2007, each of our partnering university presidents or chancellors signed a memorandum of agreement to open the Colorado School of Public Health, and a founding dean, Richard Hamman, MD, DrPH, was appointed. Within months the Colorado School of Public Health admitted its first class of students, setting the stage for growth and future development. Among those developments, the school received full accreditation from the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) in October 2010.
Today ColoradoSPH has more than 500 degree-seeking students, with more than 150 full-time faculty across the three university campuses. Each day the school finds new and innovative ways to expand its work, build partnerships, and achieve the goal of a healthier region and world.
- August 2007 - University of Colorado Board of Regents approve opening region's first school of public health in collaboration with Colorado State University and University of Northern Colorado
- December 2007 - Founding Dean Richard Hamman, MD, DrPH, appointed to lead the school
- July 2008 - Colorado School of Public Health officially opens
- August 2008 - First class of students enroll, joining students from former department of Preventive Medicine & Biometrics to form the School's comprehensive student body
- January 2009 - CU faculty and staff relocate school offices and classrooms to new CU Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora
- May 2009 - School hosts its first convocation ceremony, honoring graduates with tri-university diploma
- January 2010 - School enrolls its first DrPH student
- May 2010 - School hosts its accreditation site visit
- October 2010 - School receives accreditation from the Council on Education for Public Health
- December 2010 - Founding Dean Hamman steps down, returning to full-time research and his teaching role in Epidemiology
- January 2011 - Associate Dean for Faculty Judith Albino, PhD, is appointed as Interim Dean
- June 2012 - David C. Goff, Jr, MD, PhD, begins role as ColoradoSPH's new Dean
- July 2013 - The Colorado School of Public Health marks 5 years of collaboration, creating health, and building futures
- July 2016 - School receives reaccreditation through July 2023 from the Council on Education for Public Health
- November 2016 - Dean Goff announces his departure and appointment as head of the Cardiovascular Sciences division of the NIH's National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute
- December 2016 - Associate Dean for Public Health Practice Elaine Morrato, DrPH, MPH, CPH is appointed as Interim Dean
- July 2017 - Jonathan Samet, MD, MS, is appointed to lead the school as the third dean of ColoradoSPH