Skip to main content
Sign In

CLAS Policies, Forms & Procedures

Procedural Statements

Effective October 1, 2008

The following CLAS Procedural Statements are meant to provide supplemental guidance in areas where the college has identified a need for further clarification. They are not intended to supersede any existing systemwide, campus, or college policy.

Faculty Start-Up Funds

Start-up funds are typically allocated through the faculty member’s initial letter of offer. Along with a set dollar amount, a specific period of expenditure is normally defined. These funds are intended to provide the resources needed to establish a scholarly research program that will lead to the generation of external research funding. Start-up funding may be used for summer salary (along with appropriate certification of work effort; two months maximum per summer from all college sources), computer purchases, lab equipment set-up, office furniture, graduate student support, or other miscellaneous scholarly support needs. Please note that in all instances where salary is to be charged to a start-up fund source, the associated employee benefit charges must also be budgeted and covered from that source.

Start-up funds may not be used to buy out of courses during the academic year.

All funds are to be used prior to the end of the award period as defined in the letter of offer. At that point, all unspent funds shall revert back to the college. A time extension may be granted by the Dean only under extremely exceptional circumstances.

Recruiting Expenses

All approved tenure-track faculty searches in CLAS are granted a budget for recruitment. From this budget, all expenditures for advertising, candidate travel, and recruitment meals and functions are to be charged. All over-expenditure of recruitment budgets will be assessed against the department’s general operating budget in the following fiscal year. The Dean reserves the right to disallow reimbursement in instances where these guidelines have been disregarded.

With regard to recruitment meals, the following general guidelines shall apply:

Dollar Limits - Only in rare cases should recruitment meals exceed a total cost of $50 per person (food, beverage, tax, and tip). As per university policy, expenditures of greater than $50 per person must be pre-approved by an officer (e.g., the Dean). Tipping on meals should generally stay within the normally accepted range of 15% to 20%.

Who Can Attend – In addition to the candidate, recruitment meals should generally be limited to a small number of people from the department and/or from the search committee. Spouses and/or significant others may attend recruitment functions; however, the cost of their meals will not be covered from university sources.

Alcohol – Alcohol consumed at recruitment meals will not be reimbursed by the college except in instances where the appropriate forms have been completed and all pre-approvals have been received.

Sabbatical Funding Procedures

In order to ensure that steps are in place to maintain a balanced annual budget, CLAS requires that the total cost of full-year sabbaticals (half year’s pay, net of replacement cost) covers the total cost of half-year sabbaticals (full year’s pay, net of replacement cost). Accordingly, individual departments will not have direct access to the salary savings generated from sabbaticals taken in their unit.

Approval Process for Increases of Lecturer Pay Above Scale

CLAS publishes an annual pay rate scale for lecturers and teaching assistants. These rates are adjusted annually depending on budget availability and go into effect at the start of the fall semester. Any variance of pay from this schedule must be approved by the Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs.

Ad Hoc Funding Request Process

During the year, needs for funding within a unit or by an individual faculty member will often arise. Initial requests for funding augmentation should go through the department chair with an expectation that available, undesignated funds within the unit be drawn from first. If the chair determines that departmental funds are inadequate or inappropriate to support the request, a proposal may be submitted to the Associate Dean overseeing the area. The proposal should include the dollar amount requested (one-time or continuing), a narrative including justification and impact on the college’s strategic objectives, and a timeline for funding. Upon review, the request will be forwarded to the Dean and/or to one or more of the college’s advisory committees (e.g., CLAS BPC, CLAS Council, etc.).

Immigration/Visa Processing

In order to attract the most highly qualified individuals for specific disciplines within the college, international scholars are often recruited to fill open positions. In many cases, this involves the payment of fees to governmental bodies to provide for visitor status, visa — and in some instances — permanent residency. As a general practice, the college will consider coverage of costs on a case-by-case basis for individuals in the tenure-track and research faculty categories. The decision to cover costs will be dependent on the relationship of the position to the college’s mission, as well as the length of the appointment. Only in extremely rare instances, will the college cover costs for short-term appointments (e.g., lecturers, visiting professors, etc.). All questions related to international scholars should be directed to the college’s HR Coordinator. The HR Coordinator will serve as the primary liaison to the campus’ Office of International Affairs.

Ownership of Equipment

In the past, when a faculty member who has obtained research equipment has decided to leave the university, there have been questions as to the ownership rights to the equipment.

In general, the following guidelines shall apply:

  1. If equipment has been obtained from an active contract or grant, it shall be available for the faculty member for transfer to his/her new institution. However, if the equipment was acquired via a now closed project, ownership of the equipment shall remain with UCD. In these instances, a transfer of the equipment may be negotiated with the Dean’s approval.
  2. For equipment obtained via an infrastructure contract or grant, ownership shall remain with UCD.
  3. Equipment obtained from university fund sources (e.g., faculty start-up funds) shall remain property of UCD, with the provision that in certain instances a negotiated value may be established which would allow transfer.

In instances where ownership rights are specifically stated in university or a funding agency’s policy, those provisions shall take precedence over the above.

Telecommuting for Staff

In general, most staff positions require a daily physical presence in the office. Telecommuting may be allowed on a limited basis provided that pre-approval is granted by the supervisor, and that the employee has provided a way to be directly contacted at any time during the regular work day. Any plans for ongoing (i.e., regularly scheduled) telecommuting must be approved first by the employee's supervisor, and then by the Associate Dean overseeing staff affairs.