Skip to main content
Sign In

Master of Arts

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

 Where should I submit my application forms?

The application for admission should be submitted electronically. All other application materials not uploaded as part of the online application process (original GRE scores and letters of recommendation, for example) should be mailed to:
Graduate School
University of Colorado Denver
Campus Box 163
1380 Lawrence Street, Suite 1250
P.O. Box 173364
Denver, CO 80217-3364

Do NOT send materials to the Department of Communication offices. ​


 What are the minimum TOEFL and IELTS scores required for admission for intern​ational students?

TOEFL score of 80 with standard subscore minimums or IELTS score of 6.5 with 6.0 or higher in each subsection​​.​


 Does the department offer assistantships to graduate students?

See the Department's Web site under "Funding Opportunities" for the only funding we are able to offer graduate students.


 How old can GRE or LSAT scores be that are submitted with an application to the program? Can LSAT scores be substituted for GRE scores? What score is required on the GRE to be admitted to the program?

GRE and LSAT scores should be no more than five years old. We accept the LSAT but not the GMAT. We are looking for a score of 150 or above on the LSAT. For the GRE, we pay most attention to the verbal score, and we ask that it be 153 or above, or 500 or higher for students who took the GRE prior to April 1, 2011.

We recognize that students may have all sorts of reasons for having a GPA lower than a 3.25 as an undergraduate. We look at the whole package in terms of your admission materials and if everything else is very strong, students can sometimes be admitted without meeting the requirement for a 3.25 undergraduate GPA. However, even in strong cases, we can only admit students with an undergraduate GPA lower than 3.25 or a GRE verbal score below 500 on a provisional basis. If students perform well academically, we can later change their admission status from provisional to regular. Otherwise, they are not granted regular admission status.​


 Can I begin classes in the summer when I was admitted for fall semester?

Yes. If you want to do this, call 303-556-2704 (admissions) and tell the person who answers that you were admitted for fall MA work, but would like to enroll for summer. This process usually takes 2-3 days and must be completed before you can enroll.​


 What counts as an official transcript?

The transcript has to come directly from the university or from the student in an envelope provided and sealed by the school.​


 How long does it take to complete the program?

Our program requires 11 classes (33 credit hours). The time it takes to complete the program depends on the number of classes you take each semester. You also will be able to take some courses during the summer.​


 Is there any way to begin taking classes before I'm admitted to the program?

Yes, you can enroll as a non-degree student. You may take up to four courses (12 credits) as a non-degree student and transfer up to three of them (9 credits) into the program if you are admitted. You can also complete one of the department's graduate certificates and if you are later admitted to the MA program, you may transfer the four courses (12 credits) into the MA program. You will still need to apply for admission to the program and be admitted.


 Are night classes offered for students who work full time?

Yes, some courses are offered in the evenings; others are offered from 4-5:15 p.m., which is a time slot at which some working professionals are able to attend classes. Some of the classes do, however, meet during the day.​