Healthcare Advocacy seeks to increase awareness, education and involvement of citizens throughout Colorado in ongoing discussions about healthcare policy at the local, state and federal levels.
Serving as a neutral convener and facilitator of these Conversations across the state, Colorado Area Health Education Center (CO AHEC) aims to foster a dialogue about healthcare policy. Our goal is to increase capacity of CO AHEC Systems through advocacy and community dialogue. Our audience includes students, community leaders, consumers, healthcare providers, healthcare administrators, community activists, elected officials and healthcare industry leaders.
Past Conversation Series:
CO AHEC is providing to students, faculty, staff and community leaders several Conversation Series presentations on HealthCare. The Series are listed under three separate categories: The Colorado Health Institute (CHI) Conversation Series, Healthcare Conversation Series, and IMPACT Conversation Series. Some of the Series will be videoed and available to download after date of conversation. Each URL connection is located in the Library under the specific title of Series.
Colorado Health Institute (CHI) Conversation Series
The CHI series will occur the first Wednesday of every month from September - April from noon-1:00pm. To learn more about Colorado Health Institute please visit their website at www.coloradohealthinstitute.org/coahec.
2012 Healthcare Conversation Series was presented by Colorado AHEC Program Office and Central Colorado AHEC.
Colorado AHEC Program Office and Central Colorado AHEC are neutral conveners of healthcare information and education; and our Healthcare Conversation Series will represent the broadest spectrum of viewpoints focusing on healthcare. To learn more about Central Colorado AHEC please visit their website at www.centralcoahec.org.
2011-2012 Healthcare Conversation Series dates:
- January 25, 2012- The Constitutionality of the individual Health Care Mandate – Colorado Attorney General John Suthers; Click here to view video.
- February 15, 2012- The Affordable Care Act and the Individual Mandate Provision -Robert Semro, Bell Policy; Education I P26-1300; Click here to view video.
- February 29, 2012 –Ms. Marguerite Salazar, Regional Director for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Region VIII –Overview and Discussion of the Affordable Care Act (Large auditorium -Education II South L28-1102; Click here to view video.
- March 21, 2012 Rural Grand Rounds and Colorado Rural Health Center (CRHC)- Economic Benefits of Rural Healthcare to the Local Community- new CRHC CEO, Alan Spidel for the Don Cannalte Memorial (Large auditorium- Education II South, L28-1102)
- April 11, 2012- Reverend Leon Kelly with Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives (Large auditorium- Education II South, L28-1102)
- April 18, 2012- Jo Donlin Director of External Affair Dora- Health Insurance update; Education I, P26-1500
- May 16, 2012 – Jennifer Bellig with The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy - Farm Bill (Large Auditorium Education II South, L28-1102)
Healthcare Advocacy program is part of the IMPACT series.
- Expose students to inspiring examples of individuals who have served as leaders and advocates for better health, safety and well-being
- Inspire students with a vision of how they can personally serve as leaders and advocates during the course of their own health careers.
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the social determinants of health
- Explore the unique roles of Healthcare providers within their communities
- Expose students to creative ways of identifying and addressing needs of the underserved and vulnerable populations and improving public health
- Highlight the needs of medically underserved and vulnerable populations