The Writing Center will employ Consultants and Consultants-in-Training (CITs) who have completed or have been given credit for English 2030 or its equivalent. Consultants and CITs will be experienced writers with advanced skills in collaborative workshops, rhetoric, and editing. Consultants/CITs will also be excellent facilitators and be knowledgeable about practices of writing, documentation, and citation across disciplines. In addition, Consultants/CITs will receive training in one-on-one conferencing techniques, theories of composing, revision strategies, writing across the curriculum, sentence level pedagogies, and issues pertaining to plagiarism and ELL. Consultants/CITs will be responsible for working with students in one-on-one or small group sessions of approximately 50 minutes on writing issues including but not limited to those described in the Mission Statement.
- Consultants/CITs work a set schedule (same days/hours) each week
- Consultants/CITs work with students on issues such as brainstorming, organizing, and developing arguments
- While the Center does not edit, Consultants/CITs do teach issues related to grammar and syntax
Consultants may be asked to work at one or more of the Writing Center's locations, including:
- The Denver Campus: Mondays through Thursdays: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. & Fridays: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- CU Anschutz: Tuesdays through Fridays: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. & Sundays: 3 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Campus Village at Auraria: Sundays through Wednesdays: 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- CU South Denver: Mondays: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Tuesdays: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., 1 p.m. – 2 p.m., & 3 p.m. – 6 p.m, Wednesdays: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. & 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., Thursdays: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. & 3 p.m. – 6 p.m., and Fridays: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Business School (UCD): Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. & 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., Wednesdays: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. & 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Auraria Library: Mondays through Thursdays: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. – 7 p.m., Fridays: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., and Sundays: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Online: Evenings: 6 p.m. – midnight; Daytime: Denver Campus Hours
Paid training is provided upon hire and includes:
- A two-day pre-semester orientation
- Monthly trainings on Fridays, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Trainings are mandatory and Consultants/CITs must be able to attend in order to be employed by the Writing Center.
How to Apply
Get to know the Center. Get your application in order:
- Applicants must observe or attend 1-2 Writing Center sessions before applying. Come see what we do. Take some notes. You don't need an appointment to observe: Simply arrive five minutes early, talk to someone at the desk, and stay the entire hour. If you've been in for appointments as a student, even better.
- Acquaint Yourself with our Online Consulting platform via this Instructional Video. We also have This Video about how to make appointments using our online scheduler.
- Download, fill out, and submit the Writing Consultant Application, along with all supporting documents.
The deadline to apply for the Fall 2016 semester is November 18, 2016