Skip to main content
Sign In

University of Colorado Denver

Veteran Student Services

Student Application Process

For new students, transfer students and status changes

1. Apply for and gain admission to the University of Colorado Denver.

2. Go to VONAPP (Veteran's ONline APPlication) site:    
          a. If you are using the GI BILL (Montgomery, Post 9-11):
                    New Students:
                         -Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits)
                         -Family Member: VA Form 22-1990E (Application for Family Member to use
                          Transferred Benefits)
                     Transfer Students:
                         -Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1995 (Change Program/Place of Training)
                         -Family Member: VA Form 22-5495 (Dependent Change of Program/ Place 
                           of Training)
          b. If you are using Survivor/Dependent Benefits (Chapter 35):
                        -VA Form 22-5490 (Dependent Application for VA Education Benefits)
          c. If you are using Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31):
                        -VA Form 28-1900 (Disabled Veteran's Application for Vocational 
                         Rehabilitation and Employment)

3. Petition for In-State residency if eligible. Please click here for useful information and how to
    complete this. Post 9-11 benefits will only pay the In-state tuition amount. The student will 
    be responsible for any amount above the in-state rate.

4. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for grants, loans, 
    and scholarships. By completing the FAFSA, the $200 registration fee required each semester
    will be waived. See our Financial Aid page for more information. This should be filled out    
    once a year, ideally in January but after you file your taxes.

5. Complete Military Experience Form and turn in with a copy of your DD-214. If your DD-214
    does not show documentation of your experience, be prepared to provide additional 
    documentation (leader's course certificate, military language certificate, promotion warrant,
    etc.) before your information will be submitted. 
          -Please complete this one week before the census date to allow time for processing. 
-Any forms turned in after the census date will not be processed until after the semester. 
-If it will impact your standing (i.e. Junior, Senior) please contact our office directly.             

 6 . Meet with school and department advisors (Most require an appointment). 
          -Call the School Advising office at 303-352-3520, or visit their website:
7. Register/Enroll for classes.  Full time for Undergrad is 12 credit hours (Fall/Spring) and 6 
    credit hours (Summer).  Graduate students must take 5 hours to be considered full time.
          -NOTE: If you take only online classes, you will only receive HALF of the National Average 
          -At least one credit hour must be taken on campus. Some hybrid  classes are classified 
           as online courses. 

          - In order to calculate the number of credit hours required to be full time, use 
           the formula:
                       credit hours times number of weeks (duration) = required in class  hours

8. After you have registered for classes bring the following  forms into the UCDenver Office of 
    Veteran Student Services:
          - DD214 Member 4
          - Certificate of Eligibility for VA Education Benefit - First Page (If you have not 
              yet received this document, we will accept the above form and you can turn in the COE 
              when you receive it.)
-OR- eBenefits Summary of Education Benefits - First Page
                             - Click or hover over the link "View Status"
                             - Click on your benefit, print first page showing months of remaining benefits 
                               and eligibility percentage.

9. Fill out the Request for Certification/Class Card entirely. This must be completed EVERY 
    semester. Please submit this at least 3 weeks before the start of the semester to allow for  


10. To expedite the financial aid refund process complete the following:
          - VA and Financial Aid Refund Release - You may email it or bring it in to the office.
          - eBenefits Summary of Education Benefits - First Page
          -To qualify for this benefit, you must be using the Post 9-11 (Ch. 33) benefits, be 
            eligible at 100%, and be classified as a resident. 

11. Sign up for UCDenver Health Insurance. CU Denver's student health insurance meets the 
       qualifications under Obamacare and is covered by the Post-9/11 (Ch. 33) benefit. If you are
       utilizing the VA Hospital for medical care, you can still sign up for the school health 
                    - Ensure it is billed to your student account by the census date
                    -Only sign up for the current semester.

12. After steps 1-9 are complete the Office of Veteran Student Services Certifying Official will certify
      your enrollment and you will start receiving benefits!

Office of Veteran Student Services

Phone: 303-556-2630 or 303-556-2745

Street Address: Tivoli Student Union, Suite 124, 900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 173364, Campus 155, Denver, CO 80217-3364


University of Colorado Denver

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.