1. Apply for and gain admission to the University of Colorado Denver.
2. Go to VONAPP (Veteran's ONline APPlication) site:
a. If you are using the GI BILL (Montgomery, Post 9-11):
-Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits)
-Family Member: VA Form 22-1990E (Application for Family Member to use
-Veteran: Fill out VA Form 22-1995 (Change Program/Place of Training)
-Family Member: VA Form 22-5495 (Dependent Change of Program/ Place
b. If you are using Survivor/Dependent Benefits (Chapter 35):
-VA Form 22-5490 (Dependent Application for VA Education Benefits)
c. If you are using Vocational Rehabilitation:
-VA Form 28-1900 (Disabled Veteran's Application for Vocational
Rehabilitation and Employment)
3. Petition for In-State residency if eligible. Please click here for useful information and how to
complete this. Post 9-11 benefits will only pay the In-state tuition amount. Nothing over that
4. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for grants, loans,
5. Complete Military Experience Form and turn in with a copy of your DD-214.
6 . Meet with school and department advisors (Most require an appointment).
-Call the School Advising office at 303-352-3520, or visit their website:
7. Register/Enroll for classes.
8. After you are accepted into UC Denver and have registered for classes bring the following
forms into the UCDenver Office of Veteran Student Services:
- DD214 Member 4
- Certificate of Eligibility for VA Education Benefit - First Page (If you have not
yet received this document, we can take the above forms and you can turn in the COE
when you receive it.)
-OR- eBenefits Summary of Education Benefits - First Page
- Click or hover over the link "View Status"
- Click on your benefit, print first page.
9. Fill out the Request for Certification/Class Card entirely. This must be completed EVERY
10. To expedite the financial aid refund process complete the following:
- VA and Financial Aid Refund Release - You may email it or bring it in to the office.
- To qualify for this benefit, you must be using
the Post 9-11 (Ch. 33) benefits, be
eligible at 100%, and be classified as a resident.
11. Sign up for UCDenver Health Insurance. Ensure it is billed to your student account and only
sign up for the current semester.
12. After steps 1-9 are complete the Office of Veteran Student Services Certifying Official will certify
your enrollment and you will start receiving benefits!