Skip to main content
Sign In

Continuing/Returning Student Application Process

Continuing and Returning Students

Annual Requirements

Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for grants, loans, and scholarships. This should be filled out once a year, ideally in October. See the CU Denver Financial Aid Veteran & Military Connected Students page for more information.  

Semester Requirements

  1. Meet with school and department advisors (most require an appointment).
    • Call the School Advising Office at 303-352-3520, or visit their website.

  2. Register/Enroll for classes. Full time for Undergrad is 12 credit hours during fall and spring semesters and 6 credit hours for the regular eight week summer semester.
    • Note: If you take only online classes, you will only receive half of the National Average BAH.
    • At least one credit hour must be taken on campus. Some hybrid classes are classified as online courses.
    • Graduates must take 5 credit hours for fall/spring/eight week summer terms.
    • If you will be taking the five week Intensive Summer term, please contact our office to ensure you will be considered full-time for BAH purposes.
    • In order to calculate the number of credit hours required to be full time, use the formula:
      • (credit hours) x (number of weeks) = required in-class hours

  3. Run your Degree Audit.
    • If any of your courses fall in the "Work Not Applied" folder, contact your Advisor and ask them to verify that those classes are part of your degree plan.
    • If your courses are not part of your degree plan, ask your Advisor to fill out a Degree Audit Exceptions form and to email specific and individualized documentation directly to or those courses won't be certified

  4. Fill out the CU Denver and CU Anschutz Certification Request. This must be completed every semester. For clarity/to ensure you are using the correct file number, please contact our office at 303-315-7300. Please submit this at least eight weeks before the start of the semester to allow for processing.​​
    • ​​If there are any changes to your class schedule, submit a new Certification Request and note the changes in the remarks section.
    • ​​For Post 9/11 GI Bill Users, once your Certification Request has been received and processed, a sponsor payment (a VA tuition and fee payment placeholder) will be posted to your account in the amount expected based on your eligibility percentage. This will help to free up any financial aid you may have accepted and reduce your balance to your responsible portion (if less than 100%).
      • ​​A sponsor payment will not be posted if:
        • Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is not on file with the VMSS.
        • You are classified as a nonresident.

​​  5. Student Health Insurance
    • ​CU Denver does not offer student health insurance.
    • The Anschutz Campus automatically enrolls students. If you need to waive the student health insurance, click here.

  6. The Heroes Clinic offers free ongoing dental care for full-time student Veterans.
    • ​This step is not required, but is a good resource. To make an appointment, call 303-724-2838.

​  7. ​After steps 1-4 are complete, your enrollment will be certified!

Office of Veteran Student Services

Phone: Anschutz Office: 303.724.9649 or Denver Office: 303.315.7300

Street Address: Tivoli Student Union, Suite 124, 900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 173364, Campus 155, Denver, CO 80217-3364



© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.