Healthcare Advocacy seeks to increase awareness, education and involvement of citizens throughout Colorado in ongoing discussions about healthcare policy at the local, state and federal levels.
Serving as a neutral convener and facilitator of these Conversations across the state, Colorado Area Health Education Center (CO AHEC) aims to foster a dialogue about healthcare policy. Our goal is to increase capacity of CO AHEC Systems through advocacy and community dialogue. Our audience includes students, community leaders, consumers, healthcare providers, healthcare administrators, community activists, elected officials and healthcare industry leaders.
Upcoming Conversation Series:
CO AHEC is providing to students, faculty, staff and community leaders several Conversation Series presentations on HealthCare. To attend any of the Series, please RSVP by clicking on the link to register or to receive a flyer for an upcoming series, please contact AHECinfo@ucdenver.edu.
The Series are listed under three separate categories: The Colorado Health Institute (CHI) Conversation Series, Healthcare Conversation Series, and IMPACT Conversation Series. Some of the Series will be videoed and available to download after date of conversation. Each URL connection is located in the Library under the specific title of Series.
Colorado Health Institute (CHI) Conversation Series
The CHI series will occur the first Wednesday of every month from September - April from noon-1:00pm. To learn more about Colorado Health Institute please visit their website at www.coloradohealthinstitute.org/coahec.
Colorado Health Institute 2011-2012 Series dates:
2012 Healthcare Conversation Series presented by Colorado AHEC Program Office and Central Colorado AHEC.
The Healthcare Conversation Series occurs on various Wednesdays of every month from September – May from noon-1:00 p.m. Colorado AHEC Program Office and Central Colorado AHEC are neutral conveners of healthcare information and education; and our Healthcare Conversation Series will represent the broadest spectrum of viewpoints focusing on healthcare. To learn more about Central Colorado AHEC please visit their website at www.centralcoahec.org.
2011-2012 Healthcare Conversation Series dates:
- January 25, 2012- The Constitutionality of the individual Health Care Mandate – Colorado Attorney General John Suthers; Click here to view video.
- February 15, 2012- The Affordable Care Act and the Individual Mandate Provision -Robert Semro, Bell Policy; Education I P26-1300; Click here to view video.
- February 29, 2012 –Ms. Marguerite Salazar, Regional Director for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Region VIII –Overview and Discussion of the Affordable Care Act (Large auditorium -Education II South L28-1102; Click here to view video.
- March 21, 2012 Rural Grand Rounds and Colorado Rural Health Center (CRHC)- Economic Benefits of Rural Healthcare to the Local Community- new CRHC CEO, Alan Spidel for the Don Cannalte Memorial (Large auditorium- Education II South, L28-1102)
- April 11, 2012- Reverend Leon Kelly with Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives (Large auditorium- Education II South, L28-1102)
- April 18, 2012- Jo Donlin Director of External Affair Dora- Health Insurance update; Education I, P26-1500
- May 16, 2012 – Jennifer Bellig with The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy - Farm Bill (Large Auditorium Education II South, L28-1102)
Healthcare Advocacy program is part of the IMPACT series. The IMPACT series is every Wednesday from noon-1:00. To register click here.
The IMPACT Series Objectives: (Speakers to Address one, some or all objectives)
- Expose students to inspiring examples of individuals who have served as leaders and advocates for better health, safety and well-being
- Inspire students with a vision of how they can personally serve as leaders and advocates during the course of their own health careers.
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the social determinants of health
- Explore the unique roles of Healthcare providers within their communities
- Expose students to creative ways of identifying and addressing needs of the underserved and vulnerable populations and improving public health
- Highlight the needs of medically underserved and vulnerable populations
Colorado Health Institute Video Connections:
September 1, 2010 – What Every Health Professional Should Know about National Health Reform Link to Seminar;Allison Summerton, Research Analyst Click here to view video.
November 3, 2010-Health Care Cost Drivers and How Health Reform Re-Shapes Incentives, Amy Downs, Director for Policy and Research. Click here to view video.
December 1, 2010 –What Impact will Health Reform Have on Colorado’s Health Professions Workforce and Patient Access to Care? Jacqueline Colby, Ph.D, MPH Link to Seminar. Click here to view video.
January 5, 2011 – How will Health Reform Measures Impact Care Deliver and Consumer Behabior in Colorado; Michele Lueck President and CEO Link to Seminar. Click here to view video.
February 2, 2011 – Health Insurance Exchanges, Joan Henneberry Project Director Link to Seminar - Click here to view video.
March 2, 2011-The changing Landscape In Colorado for Publicly-funded Health Insurance Programs, Amy Downs, Director for Policy and Research - Click here to view the video.
April 6, 2011-Grading Colorado’s Health:How we Rank and Why it Matters, Michele Lueck, President and CEO and Emily King, Research Associate - Click here to view video.
Colorado Conversation Series Video Connections:
September 21, 2010 – What Kind of Colorado do you want? Mark Neuman Lee, Colorado Fiscal Policy - Click here to view video.
September 28, 2010 - Amendment 63, Jon Caldara, Independent Institute - Click here to view video.
September 29, 2010-Future of Higher Education?, Joseph Garcia Lt. Governor - Click here to view video.
October 7, 2010 - The Future of Medicine? Docs 4 Patient Care, Jill Vecchio M.D. - Click here to view video.
October 12, 2010 - Amendment 63, Colorado Deserves Better, Denise (Dede) de Percin and Edie Sonn - Click here to view video.
October 14, 2010 - The Future of Medicine, Mike Fallon MD Conversation Series: - Click here to view video.
February 16, 2011- Formal Debate – How Does Amreica Provide Affordable, Accessible, Quality Healthcare? Panelists
Sally Piper, Pacific Research Institute
Mike Fallon, M.D.
Senator Irene Aguilar, M.D.
Elinor Chirstiansen, M.D.
- Click here to view the video.
March 9, 2011 - Covering All Kids , Troubling Trends & Encouraging Progress in Colorado, Children’s Campaign Cody Belzley Colorado - Click here to view video.
March 31, 2011 - Colorado’s Fiscal Challenges: Considering All the Solutions, Colorado Fiscal Policy Institute, Mark Neuman Lee - Click here to view video.
April 7, 2011 - Colorado’s Road Map for Sustainable Government, Independence Institute, Penn Pfiffner - Click here to view video.
April 27, 2011- A Hard Look at Criticism of Physician-Industry. Tom Stossel, M.D. Click here to view video.
April 28, 2011 – A Dialogue: Different Solutions to Addressing Colorado’s State Budget Needs,
Carol Hedges, Colorado Fiscal Policy
Linda Gorman, Independence Institute - Click here to view video.
Click to view Tim Ene's flow chart of the April 28 Colorado budget discussion. If you have any questions, you can reach Tiim at email@example.com.
June 30, 2011- The Federal Budget and the impact on Colorado’s Most Vulnerable - No video available.
September 28, 2011 – At $850 million a pop, why would any company want to bring a new drug to market? – James Stevens DVM, PHD - Click here for video.