Center for Faculty Development is pleased to announce a targeted initiative aimed at providing support for faculty to learn about and apply proven teaching techniques. During the 2019-2020 academic year selected faculty members will be chosen to participate in the Association of College and University Educators (ACUE) Course in Effective Teaching Practice
, an online course that prepares college instructors to use research-based techniques that help students succeed. Faculty will participate in a cohort of colleagues from CU Denver. Knowledgeable CFD Faculty Fellows will facilitate the online course and will structure face-to-face sessions that provide wrap-around support, an essential element of this program.
Faculty will learn the essentials of great college instruction including:
- Designing an effective course and class
- Establishing a productive learning environment
- Using active learning techniques
- Promoting higher order thinking
- Assessing to promote learning and inform instruction
Note: each module takes approximately 3 hours to complete. Faculty work together as they complete the course. The course is purposefully sequenced and interaction with other course takers is key to learning. This is NOT a self-paced course.
- Complete a total of 25 modules over the course of an academic year (Fall 2019-Spring 2020)
- Attend a three-hour Course Launch
- Attend eight face-to-face Faculty Learning Communities to discuss course content.
Who are we looking for?
- Faculty who love teaching and want to enhance their work
- Faculty who struggle with teaching and want to improve
- Junior faculty who are new to teaching
- Senior faculty who want to renew their teaching practice
- Mid-career faculty who are looking to perfect their teaching
- Faculty who teach large, challenging introductory courses
- Faculty who want to see their students succeed
- Tenured, Tenure-track, Non-tenure track (Note: we will consider applications from Lecturers in consultation with their Chair)
- Faculty receive enrollment in the ACUE Course in Effective Teaching Practices for free (value of $1,500, paid by the CFD)
- Faculty receive $250 PD stipend (distributed to PD accounts spring 2020)
- Faculty earn a nationally recognized Certificate in Effective College Instruction
- Research on ACUE participants indicate that faculty experience:
- increase in student retention
- increase in student engagement
- increase in student satisfaction
- feeling more confident about their teaching
- higher course GPAs for students
- Lower DFW rates for students
ACUE Course Information Session
Tuesday, March 19
2:00 -3:00 pm
Lawrence Street Center, Suite 1300 (CU Online Training Room)
No registration required
Interested faculty can also...
Deadline: Friday, April 5, 2019