What is a Learning Contract?
A learning contract is a written agreement between teachers and students that defines what students will learn, how they will learn it, and how learning will be assessed. The contract is developed collaboratively by the teacher and student and may be used for courses, learning units, independent studies or internships.
Learning contracts generally have these five elements:
- Student Learning Objectives (What will student be able to do?)
- Learning Resources & Activities (What resources and activities will facilitate learning?)
- Learning Products (What are the assignments or learning tasks?)
- Completion Date (When will student complete task or objective?)
- Assessment Criteria & Standards (How will student demonstrate learning?)