Skip to main content
Sign In


Undergraduate Admissions: University of Colorado Denver

Get Ready

What transfer students need to know about admission, credits and costs


You are a transfer student if . . .

You completed any number of college credits after graduating from high school or earning a GED, or if you are enrolled in your first semester of college course work at the time you apply. While credit earned prior to high school graduation can be considered in transfer to CU Denver, only college or university credit hours taken after graduation from high school or earning a GED are considered in the transfer student admission requirements outlined below.

If you have questions, our Admissions Counselors are available by appointment or walk in Monday-Friday, 10-3. Call us at 303.315.2601 or email to set an appointment.


12 or fewer semester credit hours

If you have completed 12 or fewer semester credit hours of college-level course work at the time you apply, you are considered for admission based upon:

  • Quality and number of high school courses (units) attempted
  • High school grade point average (the highest reported GPA is used for admission consideration from among unweighted, weighted, or academic GPA as reported on the official transcript)
  • Rank in class (if available)
  • Scores on the GED (if applicable)
  • ACT or SAT test scores (the highest test seating is used if more than one set of exam scores are provided, and the writing portion of either test is not considered in the admission review process)
  • College GPA
  • Mid-term progress report form (if applicable). If you are enrolled in your first semester of college courses and do not yet have grades available, this form will be requested from you when you apply for admission.


13 to 29 semester credit hours

If you have completed between 13 and 29 semester credit hours of college-level course work at the time you apply, you are considered for admission:

  • Primarily upon performance in your college courses
  • High school transcripts are required (and GED scores if applicable) and must be submitted at the time of application
  • Grades earned in high school may or may not be a factor in the admission review process, depending upon specific courses completed at the college level
  • If you graduated from high school in 2008 and later, you are subject to the State of Colorado HEAR (Higher Education Admission Requirements). If you have HEAR unit deficiencies not addressed by completion of college courses, you may need to defer admission consideration until 30 college credits are completed. You will be advised of your status when you apply.


30 or more semester credit hours

If you have completed 30 or more semester credit hours of college-level course work at the time you apply, you are considered for admission:

  • Based on college course work alone
  • You are not subject to HEAR requirements
  • High school transcripts, GED scores (if applicable), and ACT or SAT scores are not required.

Transfer credit guidelines

  • At the Denver Campus, we consider comparable course work for transfer if a C- (1.7) or better grade was earned.
  • Except for AA and AS degrees at Colorado community colleges, degree programs are not transferrable. Courses are considered for transfer on an individual or “course-by-course” basis regardless of whether a degree was earned.
  • General education courses and other courses comparable in subject and content to those offered at CU Denver are usually accepted.
  • Courses identified as State of Colorado GT Pathways courses are always accepted provided C- or better grades were earned.
  • Only undergraduate courses are considered for transfer toward undergraduate degrees. Graduate courses are considered for transfer toward graduate degrees by departmental petition only.
  • Special topics or independent study courses require department review for transfer consideration.
  • Remedial/developmental, religious doctrinal, and vocational courses are not accepted.
  • There is no time limit for acceptance of general credit, but certain majors have time limits on how credit can apply to requirements.
  • Transfer credit decisions can be appealed. If you feel you completed courses comparable to those offered at CU Denver which were not accepted in transfer, consult your academic advisor.
  • For more information see our Transfer Credit Guidelines​ page

Credit for exams

Credit may be considered for Advanced Placement(AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations. Original, official score reports are required for credit evaluation, even if credit was awarded already by another college or university.

Advanced Placement  (School Code 4875)​

The University of Colorado Denver utilizes the Advanced Placement (AP) Program, as a way to allow incoming students to gain college credit for lower-level courses and advanced standing in those areas, as they are offered by the University. In order to qualify for AP credits, students must have received scores of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement Examination. AP credit is also granted for scores of 3 plus a grade of 'A' in the second semester of the corresponding AP class.

Sub-scores are not available (except for Calculus BC and Music Theory) nor are scores analyzed to determine strengths and weaknesses.

International Baccalaureate (School Code 4875)​

Any student admitted to a University of Colorado campus after June 30, 2003, who has graduated from high school having successfully completed an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma program with a minimum score of 4 on each exam, shall be granted a minimum of 24 semester hours of college credit. Schools and colleges may grant credit for individual IB courses, even if a student has not successfully completed an IB diploma program. 

CLEP​ (School Code 01398)

New students at The University of Colorado Denver who have not earned advanced placement credits can still earn university credit for some lower-level courses by taking examinations in areas in which they have demonstrated college-level proficiency. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers a testing service for this specific purpose and has been a valuable tool for assessing and awarding of college credit. 

Credit for military experience

Military service experience and DANTES/DSST examination results can also be evaluated for portential academic credit. Submit the SMART transcript and/or official DANTES/DSST examination results to the Office of Admissions at the Address below.

Health programs at the Anschutz Medical Campus have differing transfer credit policies and specific time limits for fulfillment of pre-requisite requirements. This transfer credit information applies only to degree programs offered entirely at the Denver Campus.

For more information about credit for military experience, click here​.


For questions about how your credit applies, please contact an academic advisor:

After reviewing your official Student Transfer Credit report your next step is to contact an academic advisor for assistance with how this credit applies to your degree requirements. An advisor's approval is required before you may register here for the first time.

For general inquiries regarding transfer credits, please the contact the
Office of Admissions:

University of Colorado Denver
Office of Admissions
Campus Box 167
PO Box 173364
Denver, CO 80217-3364

303-315-2601 or

Tuition and fees at CU Denver are very competitive with other institutions. For the most up to date information, including cost of attendance and a net price calculator, visit the costs and financing page.

It's also important to know about Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes


College Opportunity Fund (COF)
An act of the Colorado State Legislature in May 2004 established a new way for the State to provide state tax dollar support for higher education at the undergraduate level. The state is no longer appropriating monies to institutions for undergraduate education, but is providing direct funding to undergraduate students through COF.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)
Freshmen and transfer students who are legal residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming and Washington may be eligible to receive a reduced tuition rate through the WUE program. WUE applies only to programs offered entirely by the Denver Campus.

WUE program information including how to apply (pdf)

© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.