Skip to main content
Sign In

Travel Info

​Students have the o​pportu​nity to travel within the U.S. or outside of the U.S. Students must be aware of the risks involved as well as the necessary documents to take with you while traveling. See the information below and see our Student Resources​ for more information about travel.​​​​​

 Traveling Outside the U.S. with Initial I-20

If you are traveling and you have recently received an Initial I-20, you should be aware of the following information.

Arrival into the U.S.

With an intiial I-20, re-entry into the U.S. can only happen 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.  Do NOT try to enter the U.S. prior to 30 days, you will be denied entry into the U.S.

Things to Take:
  • I-20/DS-2019 
  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Visa
  • Proof of Studies at CU Denver
  • Proof of Financial Support or Sponsorship


 ​Travel Outside of the U.S.​

Students that are traveling outside of the U.S. must carry the proper immigration documents while traveling. Be sure to get your I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel. Processing of I-20 signatures at the ISSS office can take up to 5 days. Plan accordingly.

Things to Take:

  • Take I-20/DS-2019 with you; Student and dependents must have a travel signature on your I-20/DS-2019 within 6 months​
  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Visa
  • Proof of studies at CU Denver
  • Proof of financial support​ or sponsorship

Obtaining a visa to another country:

It is important that you contact the Embassy or Consulate of the country you wish to visit to learn if you need a visa to enter. Please DO NOT rely on the advice of friends for this information!

If you are Traveling to Mexico or Canada see the policy on Automatic Revalidation​

See our Student Resources for more information about Travel and Foreign Embassies


 Travel Within the U.S.

If you are traveling within the United States, we highly recommend that you carry your immigration documents with you​ at all times.

Things to Take:

  • Your valid I-20/DS-2019
  • Valid passport with Visa
  • Colorado driver’s license or Colorado state identification card (If you Have One)
  • CU Denver student ID
  • Your insurance card

You do not need any signatures or approval to travel within the U.S., but if you are traveling within the school session be sure to be in contact with your professors so you do not miss class without approval.

Additional Guidance:

We are currently seeing issues at U.S. states that border the Mexico and Canadian border have allowed Customs and Border Patrol agents to stop people at specific border stations along the border and within the state and ask for immigration documentation.  We HIGHLY SUGGEST you bring all of your documentation as listed above even though you may not be crossing any international borders. 

See Guidance about Interior Enforcement Here.​

Please see our Student Resources page for more information about travel.


© The Regents of the University of Colorado, a body corporate. All rights reserved.

Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. All trademarks are registered property of the University. Used by permission only.