University of Colorado School of Pharmacy
Mail Stop C238
12850 E. Montview Blvd. V20-1206
Aurora, CO 80045
Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Building (V20)
Melanie Whittington has a research faculty appointment in the University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and is a member in the Center for Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research. She received her PhD in Health Services Research with a Health Economics concentration from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. The theme of her research is to use economic evaluation methodologies to identify high value healthcare interventions to improve the quality and efficiency of healthcare delivered. She serves as the health economic methodologist for the Denver/Seattle Center of Innovation for Veteran-Centered and Value-Driven Care. Dr. Whittington has been involved in multiple economic evaluations including cost-effectiveness analyses for pharmaceuticals and hospital-level interventions, economic burden assessments for diseases, and return on investment assessments for public health interventions. She also has experience using econometric methodologies to evaluate health policies.
Training and Education:
- BA, Biological Sciences, University of Missouri 2012
- MS, Health Sciences, Western Illinois University 2013
- PhD, Health Services Research, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus 2016
- International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (member)
- AcademyHealth (member)
- Cost-effectiveness and value of pharmaceuticals and other health care interventions
- Return on investment assessments alongside program implementation
- Economic burden assessments of medical conditions
- Econometric techniques to evaluate policy change
- Whittington, M. D., Atherly, A. J., Bradley, C. J., Campbell, J. C. & Lindrooth, R. C. 2017. Value of the Prevention and Public Health Fund. Accepted at American Journal of Public Health.
- Whittington, M. D., Atherly, A. J., Curtis, D. J., Lindrooth, R. C., Bradley, C. J. & Campbell, J. D. 2017. Recommendations for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Prevention in Adult ICUs: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Critical Care Medicine. Epub ahead of print.
- Whittington, M. D., Kempe, A., Dempsey, A., Herlihy, R. & Campbell, J. D. 2017. Impact of Non-Medical Vaccine Exemption Policies on the Health and Economic Burden of Measles. Academic Pediatrics. 2017;17(5):571-576.
- Whittington, M. D., Curtis, D. J., Atherly, A. J., Bradley, C. J., Lindrooth, R. C. & Campbell, J. C. 2016. Screening Test Recommendations for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Surveillance Practices: A Cost-Minimization Analysis. American Journal of Infection Control. Epub ahead of print.
- Whittington, M. D., McQueen, R. B., Ollendorf, D. A., Tice, J. A., Chapman, R. H., Pearson, S. D. & Campbell, J.D. 2016. Assessing the value of mepolizumab for severe eosinophilic asthma: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, 118(2):220-225.
- Whittington, M.D., Atherly, A., VanRaemdonck, L. & Lampe, S. (2016). Strategic methodologies in public health cost analyses. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. Epub ahead of print.
- Whittington, M.D., Atherly, A., Bocsi, G. & Camidge, D.R. (2016). Health economic evaluations in thoracic oncology: State of the literature. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 11(8), 1224-1232.