Training and Education:
- BS in Pharmacy, University of Iowa (1995) PharmD, University of Colorado Denver (1997) Ambulatory Care Specialty Residency, University of Colorado and Kaiser Permanente Rocky Mountain Division (1997-1998)
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (1998, 2005)
Dr. Borgelt interacts with P1, P2 and P3 students at the School of Pharmacy while teaching asthma and smoking cessation (Pharmacotherapy 1), women's health (Pharmacotherapy 3), sexually transmitted diseases (IOS 10), and comprehensive patient care. She has developed a women’s health elective which incorporates innovative active learning methods to enable students to have tangible experiences in the classroom setting. She also teaches P4 students and actively trains PGY1 and PGY2 residents at her clinical site. She has been a facilitator for many years in the interprofessional education and development program at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. She aims to teach with compassion and integrity and strives to be a role model in both the classroom and the clinic. She believes that great teachers are also great learners, so aims to keep an open mind and listen well to the opinions of others. She wants to be an effective communicator and mentor with a passion about pharmacy education for students, residents and other health care professionals.
Dr. Laura Borgelt serves as a clinical pharmacy specialist at the University of Colorado A.F. Williams Family Medicine Center with Dr. Joseph Saseen. This site is the clinical teaching site for the Family Medicine Residency Program at the University of Colorado Hospital. Clinical pharmacy services include (but are not limited to): providing continuing education for medical residents involved in the University of Colorado and Denver Health programs; performing medication reviews of patients to identify and resolve drug-related problems; offering pharmacotherapy consultations; participating in interdisciplinary Patient Centered Medical Home activities and providing patient education. Specific areas of interest and expertise include women's health (contraception, polycystic ovary syndrome, pregnancy and lactation, hormone therapy, and osteoporosis), smoking cessation, asthma, diabetes, health promotion, and disease prevention.
Dr. Borgelt has been involved with research projects related to the women's health, medication safety, and faculty peer assessment. Many of these research projects have been published in the medical literature. She is the leading editor of a women’s health textbook entitled, “Women’s Health Across the Lifespan: A Pharmacotherapeutic Approach.” She has also published review articles and book chapters related to various pharmacotherapy and educational topics. Click here to see related review articles and book chapters.
Dr. Borgelt is actively involved in several committees at the School of Pharmacy and within the University. She is current member of the Curriculum Committee at the School of Pharmacy, and Vice-Chair of Faculty Council at the University of Colorado. Outside of the University, Dr. Borgelt is Past President and a member of the Colorado Pharmacists Society and is actively involved with the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists, and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. She has also served on various committees in Colorado to ensure patient and medication safety including the prescription drug abuse prevention task force, pregnancy-related depression, and three different working groups with the State Licensing Authority and Department of Revenue to determine recommendations for rulemaking regarding medical and retail marijuana. She firmly believes that participating in professional organizations and performing community service/volunteer activities are critical components to promoting pharmacy and advocating better health for the general public.
Honors and Awards:
- 2013 - AACP Successful Practices in College/School Collaborations with State Pharmacy Association(s) and State Board of Pharmacy. Four Colorado collaborations selected.
- 2012 - Leadership Award; University of Colorado and Colorado Pharmacists Society
- 2011 - McKesson Empowering Healthcare Leadership Award
- 2011 - National Community Pharmacists Association Pharmacy Leadership Award
- 2011 - Elizabeth D. Gee Memorial Lectureship Award; University of Colorado
- 2009 - ACCP Volunteer Recognition
- 2008 - AACP Walmart Scholarship
- 2007 - AACP Walmart Scholarship
- 2007 - President's Award for Teaching Excellence - UCD
- 2006 - President's Award for Teaching Excellence nominee; UCD
- 2005 - Elected Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (FCCP)
- 2005 - Excellence in Teaching, P3 Class; UCD
- 2005 - President's Award for Teaching Excellence nominee; UCD
- 2004 - President's Award for Teaching Excellence; UCD
- 2004 - Rho Chi Initiation Ceremony Honorary Speaker
- 2003 - President's Award for Teaching Excellence; UCD
- 2001 - Outstanding Teaching Award; UH Family Medicine Residency Class of 2001