University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences entry-level PharmD students are welcome to apply to pursue a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degree in addition to their PharmD degree. The dual PharmD/MBA offers pharmacy students interested in managerial and business careers a chance to set themselves apart.
Career opportunities with a PharmD/MBA include:
- Healthcare administration
- Director of pharmacy operations
- Product development, strategy, and marketing within the pharmaceutical industry
- Strategy and other managerial roles with healthcare payer organizations
- Managerial roles with state and federal healthcare agencies
- Director position with pharmaceutical distributors and wholesalers
- Entrepreneurial roles
PharmD/MBA Dual Degree Program Overview:
A student can apply in the second (P2) or fourth (P4) year of pharmacy school. A student applying in the P2 year will take a one year leave of absence to complete coursework at the University of Colorado Denver Business School, and then re-enter the PharmD program as a P3 student. A student applying in the P4 year will engage in coursework for their MBA after completing their PharmD degree.
To be considered for these programs, a student must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree (Note that CU Pharmacy students are able to obtain a bachelor’s degree if they did not earn one prior to acceptance to the PharmD Program. For information regarding this program, please go to the following URL: BSMS Application)
- Have a cumulative GPA (including required and elective coursework) of at least 3.0 in the courses of the pharmacy program at the end of the first professional year (for P2 applicant) or third professional (P3) year (for P4 applicant)
- Be in good academic standing and have no professional or conduct violations
In the application process, a student will select a type of MBA. Please note that the MBA Health Administration (MBAH) is highly competitive and has limited student places.
An application to the PharmD/MBA program includes:
- Submitting an email to the CU Denver Business School indicating that you are applying to the PharmD/MBA dual degree
- Application fee
- On-line application for graduate admission
- In-state tuition classification form
- Essay question responses
- PCAT, MCAT, GRE scores (or equivalent)
- Official copies of undergraduate and professional program transcripts
- Two current letters of recommendation
- A letter from the CU Pharmacy Office of Student Services (OSS) indicating that you are in good standing (academic and professional conduct)
After receiving 12 credits of PharmD coursework towards the dual degree program, a student will be required to complete 35 credits of MBA coursework. If interested, please email David.Thompson@CUAnschutz.edu.