Applicants to the Rehabilitation Science PhD Program must meet the following requirements to be considered for regular admission:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university in a science, health, or engineering related discipline. A professional degree (e.g. DPT, OT, MD) is not required for admission. Applicants with prior reserach experience is strongly preferred.
- Undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Completed graduate degree requiring a research element, or combined verbal and quantitative score of at least 1100 on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) completed within the past 5 years. If taken after August 1, 2011 combined score on revised GRE must be at least 301.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 570 (paper test) / 230 (computer test) / 89 (internet test) for applicants from non-English speaking countries.
- Three letters of recommendation from supervisors, instructors, or other individuals qualified to comment on previous scholastic performance and ability to perform graduate research.
- Supporting written statements including the applicant’s background, career goals, and reasons for applying to the program.
- A list of 1-3 faculty members with whom the student is interested in working. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact potential research mentors prior to submitting their application
All supporting documents (official transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation should be sent to the address below:
University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus
Research Complex I North, Room 7105-1
12800 East 19th Avenue, Mail Stop 8307
Aurora, CO 80045
* This process is only for applicants to the Rehabilitation Science PhD program, any applicants that are interested in applying to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program should follow this link
Selected applicants will be invited for an on-site (preferred) or phone interview by at least two members of the Admissions and Curriculum Committee. Offers of admission are granted to 2-3 of the highest qualified applicants each year.
|February - May
||Applicants notified of admission decisions|
Applications received by Jan 1 will be considered for scholarship opportunities. Late applications will be considered up to June 1 or until all positions are filled
Tuition and Fees
||$141 per credit hour|
||$607 per credit hour|
More information on Basic Sciences PhD tuition and fees can be found on the Graduate School website. US citizens can apply for in-state residency after living in Colorado for 12 months.
If you are not a Colorado resident but you are a resident of one of the following western states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming then you may be eligible for in-state tuition rates through the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) which is part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). For additional information please visit the Western Regional Graduate Program handout.
Although we cannot guarantee financial assistance, tuition and living expenses for the majority of our students are supported by a combination of faculty research grants, institutional training grants, foundation scholarships, and teaching/research assistantships. Financial support is only available for US citizens who are eligible to apply for federal grants while enrolled in the Program.
Please contact the Program Administrator to learn more about funding opportunities for Rehabilitation Science PhD students.
Additional information on Fellowships and Assistantships for graduate students can be found on the Graduate School website.
Get Started on Your Application
Follow the Apply link below to begin the application process for the Rehabilitation Science PhD Program.
* This application link is only for applicants to the Rehabilitation Science PhD program, any applicants that are interested in applying to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program should follow this link