The MSTP Admissions Committee is looking for individuals with a demonstrated commitment to medical research and service to community. The committee looks at applicants as whole individuals, equally assessing academic achievement with past experience. Letters of recommendation, substantive bench research experience, test scores, and life experiences are all considered.
As a federally funded program, the UC Denver MSTP is National in scope. It is open to US citizens and Permanent Residents of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. MSTP actively recruits women and underrepresented students. We are committed to the enrollment of a diverse body of talented students.
Applicants must have completed requirements for a bachelor's degree at an accredited academic institution prior to matriculation and have excellent academic credentials. In addition, all applicants must meet the following admissions requirements of the University of Colorado School of Medicine:
Initial application to the MST Program at the University of Colorado Denver involves the completion of the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) On-Line Application and the submission of the SOM secondary application and payment of fee.
The deadline for submission of a complete MSTP application is December 1, 2013. A complete application includes the following:
- AMCAS Application
- All letters of recommendation
- School of Medicine Secondary Application
- School of Medicine Secondary Application fee
Applicants must instruct AMCAS to forward their AMCAS application to the University of Colorado Denver. Applicants must select the MD/PhD Program Type on their application. This application will permit applicants to submit essays describing their interest in the combined MD/PhD program.
- The deadline for AMCAS application submission is November 1, 2013 for admissions to the entering class of 2013.
The MSTP accepts three to five letters of recommendation (or a committee composite letter) submitted through AMCAS.
- Example letter writers include: previous or current research mentors, instructors, physicians or employers.
- References should come from individuals who know the applicant well enough to comment on their educational background.
- The MST Program has access to letters sent by electronic submission to the CU Denver School of Medicine.
Instructions for submitting the SOM/MSTP Secondary Application and the Secondary Application fee will be forwarded by email from the UC Denver School of Medicine Admissions Office once the AMCAS application has been verified.
If appliants are invited for an interview, instructions for submitting the Graduate School online application will be forwarded by email from the UC Denver MSTP office prior to the applicant's visit to CU.
Transcripts are not required at the time of application submission.
All accepted students must submit original official transcripts from all post-secondary colleges/universities they have attended. The transcripts should be received by June 15 and sent directly from the Institution to the MSTP office AND to the SOM Admissions Office.
All applicants may contact the MSTP office at (303) 724-4600 or firstname.lastname@example.org if they have questions during the application process or would like to check the status of their application. After the Admissions Committee reviews completed applications, applicants are placed in one of the following categories:
Invited to Interview
Students invited for an interview will receive a letter (via email) offering the choice of several interview dates. UC Denver MSTP/SOM interviews are TWO-DAY interviews (Thursdays AND Fridays).
- interviewees will be asked to select the most convenient dates for their interviews with the MSTP/SOM.
- Complete information on the interview process will be discussed in the invitation email.
- The MST Program will cover up to three nights hotel accommodations (room charges only) and miscellaneous travel expenses such as airport parking, and shuttle service to and from Denver International Airport.
Applicants placed on the alternate/waitlist will be reviewed at a later date for reconsideration of an interview. Applicants on the alternate/waitlist will receive emails updating them on their status.
Applicants who do not receive an interview will receive a letter from the Program Director via US Mail.
Students that do not receive an interview with MSTP but would like to be considered for MD only MUST notify the SOM Admissions Office at (303) 724-8025.
Interviews are conducted on the Anschutz Medical Campus and will take place over two days.
2013-2014 MSTP/SOM Interview Dates:
- Thursday, November 7 - Friday, November 8, 2013
- Thursday, November 14 - Friday, November 15, 2013
- Thursday, November 21 - Friday, November 22, 2013
- Thursday, December 5 - Friday, December 6, 2013
- Thursday, December 12 - Friday, December 13, 2013
- Thursday, January 23 - Friday, January 24, 2013
- Thursday, January 30 - Friday, January 31, 2013
8:00 am Pick-up from hotel lobby
9:00 am Breakfast/Orientation
10:00 am Walking tour of campus
11:00 am MSTP faculty interviews
12:00 noon Lunch
2:00 pm MSTP faculty interviews
6:30 pm Dinner with current MSTP students
7:30 am Pick-up from hotel lobby
8:00 am School of Medicine orientation
9:00 am School of Medicine interviews
12:00 noon Lunch with MD applicants
2:00 pm MSTP faculty interviews
6:30 pm Dinner party at home of one of the current MSTP students
Additional information will be sent once an interview has been scheduled.