- Attend MSA lectures and seminars
- Explore interests with Associate Directors
- Meet potential mentors and discuss areas of interest
- Select mentor early if possible
- Begin formulation of a question and develop project goals
- Review relevant scholarly literature
- Integrate lessons from the curriculum and experiences
- Complete MSA Comprehensive Plan Form
- COMIRB - If your project involves human subjects, you must complete the COMIRB certification online and plan ahead to submit your protocol to Dr. Prochazka for preliminary review
Phase I Course Requirements and Timeline
Meet and communicate with Associate Director
- Attend MSA Course Sessions
- Attend and evaluate posters at the Annual Student Research Forum in December
- Identify a project and confirm a faculty mentor to work with
- Submit MSA Plan Form by April 15th.
MSA Summer Elective IDPT 5091
IDPT 5091 Requirements and Timeline
All students must complete the following requirements by the end of the course:
Note: All submissions will be electronic
Attend the IDPT 5091 Introductory Course location date and time TBD
Meet with your mentor at least bi-weekly
Submit summer MSA Plan Form and have mentor send email confirming plan (this can be done by e-mail from the mentor) by June 7.
Submit Abstract of your work by July 22, per instructions in Appendix B
Present current status of project and participate in Work in Progress sessions in July Date and time TBD per instructions in Appendix C
Annotated bibliography (20 references minimum) by July 26.
COMIRB certification and approval notice (if your project requires COMIRB approval) Students will be required to complete online evaluations and meet with the course directors as necessary to provide feedback.
MSA Interest Form
- Complete the MSA interest form
. This tells us a bit about your background and your interests.
One of the Associate Directors will then contact you and help connect you with a potential mentor.
- The Research Consulting Laboratory is available without charge to MSA students. The RCL can help with study design, power & sample size calculations, data analysis and interpretation. You can make an appt. by calling 303-724-4619, email@example.com
, or stop by Children's Hospital Colorado - Administratiion Pavilion Room C4149, on the south side of the 4th floor, facing the light well or University of Colorado Building 406 NW corner of campus 12477 E 19th Avenue Room 102, south side of first floor, west wing. Please be sure to identify yourself as an MSA student.
- COMIRB approval is required for all students conducting human subjects research. You will need to complete required training
in order to submit a protocol or be added to an existing protocol.
Health Science Library
- The MSA program has a librarian assigned for each of the 5 thematic areas who can help with professional grade searches for background sections of proposals and with systematic reviews.
Projects/ Summer Opportunities Seeking Students
- There are a number of longitudinal projects that seek students to take an active role. This link will provide a brief project description as well as the contact information for either the mentor or a student working on the project.
- The Writing Center is available to assist with your writing for your MSA proposals and with scholarly papers that may result from your MSA project. The Writing Center is located in the HS library.