The MSA project is a four-year requirement for all undergraduate medical students. The project culminates in a capstone presentation in Phase IV prior to graduation. The goal of the MSA curriculum is to foster self-directed, life-long learning over the course of the medical student career. The MSA requires students to identify and work with a mentor to complete their projects, which also prepares them for working with mentors in their careers and serving as mentors to others in the medical profession.
Course goals demonstrate:
- Progress through the Phases and display independence and collaboration
- Ability to formulate a specific problem statement, question, hypothesis or aim
- Willingness to work effectively with a mentor.
- Ability to critically review and analyze literature on an important scholarly topic.
- Preparation of a scholarly project with appropriate methods and develop a plan to complete the project,
- Ability to synthesize and present results of a scholarly project.
- Use of the scientific method to test and or verify hypotheses in clinical and translational research.
MSA I - IV Course goals with objectives PDFs:
Grading will be pass/fail, assessed at the end of each semester based on the student meeting the expectations and requirements for that particular phase of the curriculum. The final grade in Phase IV will be determined by the director, mentor, associate director and a team of faculty evaluators.
MSA Course Director: Kristen Nadeau, MD, MS
Thematic Areas and Associate Directors:
Laboratory (Basic) Science – John Tentler, PhD John.Tentler@cuanschutz.edu
Bioethics, Humanities, Arts, & Education – Daniel Goldberg, JD, PhD Daniel.Goldberg@cuanschutz.edu
Clinical Science – Kristen Nadeau, MD, MS Kristen.Nadeau@childrenscolorado.org
Epidemiology, Public & Community Health – Rita Lee, MD Rita.Lee@cuanschutz.edu
Global Health – Madiha Abdel-Maksoud, MD, PhD, MSPH Madiha.Abdel-Maksoud@ucdenver.edu;
Leana May, DO, MPH Leana.May@childrenscolorado.org
Program Coordinator: Zachary Lundquist – SOM.MSA@ucdenver.edu
MSA Library Liaison: John Jones – John.Jones@ucdenver.edu 303-724-2121