...is an integrated, evidence-based treatment for adolescents and young adults with co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders that can be feasibly implemented by providers and treatment programs who serve such youth.
ENCOMPASS was developed by a research team, led by Dr. Paula Riggs, Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Colorado Denver, and is based on more than 15 years of clinical research. ENCOMPASS is affiliated with Synergy Adolescent Treatment Services and the university's Division of Substance Dependence and Addiction Research and Treatment Services.
ENCOMPASS addresses the gap in evidence-based treatment for young people with co-occurring disorders.
- Research shows that among adolescents and young adults with substance use disorders, co-occurring mental health problems are the rule rather than the exception
- There is a growing consensus among clinicians and researchers that treatment of co-occurring disorders should be integrated, simultaneously addressing both the mental health and substance abuse disorders
- However, systemic barriers and insufficient research have impeded progress in the development and implementation of evidence-based treatment for co-occurring disorders in community-based treatment settings.
Closing the gap: ENCOMPASS
- Is a fully integrated evidence-based treatment model for co-occurring disorders in adolescents and young adults
- Can be feasibly implemented in community-based mental health and substance treatment settings
- Is compatible with existing treatment components
- Provides training, clinical supervision and full-service implementation support and certification for programs interested in adopting the model
The ENCOMPASS Consulting Team provides a complementary initial consultation and program evaluation for providers interested in enhancing their co-occurring disorders capabilities or obtaining more information about ENCOMPASS. Please contact ENCOMPASS for additional information.