C. Neill Epperson, MD
Professor and Chair
Department of Psychiatry
On behalf of the faculty, I welcome you to the Department of Psychiatry. We are dedicated to the care of patients at our teaching hospitals and clinics from birth through aging.
Vision & Mission Statement
The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Colorado-Anschutz Medical Campus shares the mission of the School of Medicine: to provide excellence in Education, Research, Clinical Care, and Community Service.
Through our educational programs, medical students, graduate students, residents and practicing health care professionals are trained to be future leaders in psychiatry.
Our interdisciplinary research programs aim to produce a better understanding of the underlying causes of mental illness and substance use disorders, as well as identifying new treatments, early prevention strategies and novel clinical approaches to improve the lives of patients.
Through state-of-the-art clinical services, we deliver a full range of mental health treatments for patients and their families, including neurobehavioral assessments, psychotherapy, and psychopharmacology services.
We advocate within our local communities, affiliated institutions, state government agencies and the nation to promote strategies for increasing mental health awareness and reducing stigma.
Department News & Events
PSYCHIATRY GRAND ROUNDS
December 12, 2018:
"CeDAR Case Conference: Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder"
Jonathan I. Ritvo MD; Alexis Ritvo, MD, MPH; Kaylin A Klie, MD, MA; Michelle Georges, MD
December 19, 2018:
Psychiatric Jeopardy "Residents vs. Faculty" hosted by:
Christopher D. Schneck, MD
December 26, 2018:
NO GRAND ROUNDS - WINTER HOLIDAY
Held 12 noon - 1:00 p.m. in the Shore Family Forum (Rm. 110) in the Nighthorse Campbell Native Health Building, unless noted otherwise. Zoom link for those unable to attend: https://ucdenver.zoom.us/j/605885833. For more information, please see our Grand Rounds schedule.
For a listing of articles recently published by the faculty, click here.
- Cohen Clinic's telehealth program was featured in a 9NEWS story Monday, November 12th in honor of Veteran's Day. Special thanks to Brittany Shoemaker, Gillian Kaag and Matthew Wetenkamp.
- Dr. C. Neill Epperson, Chair of Psychiatry, highlighted in the recent issue of CU Medicine Today. Click here for the full Q&A session (beginning on page 4).
- Dr. Robin Gabriels, a professor in the Child Psychiatry Division, featured in the most recent issue of CU Anschutz Today. Full article here...
- Dr. Robert N. Emde, received the lifetime acheivement award from Zero to Three. Read about his contributions to the organization here.
- Dr. Brian Rothberg, along with a member of The Four Corners Group Psychotherapy Society just finished a podcast with other group therapists in the country. Click here for the full interview...
- Dr. Amanda Law and colleagues at Oxford University, UK and the Max Planck Institute, Germany published an article titled, "Altered hippocampal gene expression and structure in transgenic mice overexpressing neuregulin 1 (Nrg1) type". Full article here...
- Dr. Alexis Chavez featured on the cover of Outfront magazine. The full story, "Heals Hearts & Minds in Colorado", can be found here.