ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS, AND HONORS
Positions and Employment:
Intern, University of Utah, 1965-1966
Resident, University of Washington, 1966-1969
Chief, Mental Health Office, Portland Area Indian Health Service, 1969 – 1973
Chairman, Mental Health Research Committee, Indian Health Service, 1970 – 1973
Chairman, Committee on Data and Evaluation, Indian Health Service, 1971 – 1973
Consultant, American Indian Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse, 1971 – 1973
Consultant, National Tribal Chairmen’s Association, 1974 – 1981
Professor and Chairman, School of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, 1975 – 1985
Chairman/Superintendent, Department of Psychiatry and Colorado Psychiatric Hospital, School of Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO, 1985 – 1999
Chancellor, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO, 1999 – 2006
Commissioned Officers Association of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS), 1969 – 1973
The Commendation Medal, USPHS, 1972
Special Award for Historic Achievement in Public Psychiatry, APA, 1993
Distinguished Service Award, Indian Health Service, 1996
SCHOLARSHIP AND PUBLICATIONS
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
1. Shore JH, Kinzie J, Hampson J, Pattison E: Psychiatric Epidemiology of an Indian Village. Transcultural Psychiatric Research Review 8:195-198, 1970.
2. Shore JH, Bopp JF, Waller TR, Dawes JW: Suicide Prevention Center on an Indian Reservation. Amer J Psychiatry 118:1086-1091, 1972.
3. Shore JH: Suicide Patterns among Major Northwest Indian Tribes. Transcultural Psychiatric Research Review 9:67-69, 1972.
4. Shore JH, VonFumetti B: Three Alcohol Programs for American Indians, 642 Cases. Amer J Psychiatry 128:1450-1454, 1972.
5. Kinzie J, Shore JH, Pattison EM: Anatomy of Psychiatric Consultation to Rural Indians. Com MHJ 8:196-207, 1972.
6. Shore JH: Suicide and Suicide Attempts among American Indians of the Pacific Northwest. Inter J Soc Psychiatry 18:91-96, 1972.
7. Shore JH, Kinzie J, Hampson J, Pattison EM: Psychiatric Epidemiology of an Indian Village. Psychiatry 36:70-81, 1973.
8. Shore JH, Stone DL: Duodenal Ulcer among Northwest Coastal Indian Women. Amer J Psychiatry 130:774-777, 1973.
9. Shore JH: Psychiatric Epidemiology among Native Americans. Psychiatric Annals 4:45-66, 1974.
10. Shore JH: American Indian Suicide – Fact and Fantasy. Psychiatry 38:86-91, 1975.
11. Wilson LG, Shore JH: Evaluation of a Regional Indian Alcohol Program. Amer J Psychiatry 132:255-258, 1975.
12. Shore JH, Nicholls WW: Indian Children and Tribal Group Homes: New Interpretations of the Whipper Man. Amer J Psychiatry 32:454-456, 1975. Also reprinted in Modern Indian Psychology: A Book of Readings. Bulgatz M, Flagler A (Eds), E. Montana College, 1986.
13. Shore JH: Non-traditional Therapies for American Indians. White Cloud Center Newsletter 1:1-3, 1977.
14. Shore JH: Destruction of Indian Families – Beyond the Best Interest of Indian Children. White Cloud Journal of American Indian/Alaska Native Mental Health Research 2:13-16, 1978.
15. Borunda P, Shore JH: Neglected Minority – Urban Indians and Mental Health. Inter J Soc Psychiatry 24:220-224, 1979.
16. Pollack D, Shore JH: Validity of the MMPI with Native Americans. Amer J Psychiatry 137:946-950, 1980.
17. Manson SM, Shore JH (Eds): Special Issue on Psychiatric Epidemiology Research Among American Indians. White Cloud Journal 2(2), 1981.
18. Shore JH, Manson SM: Cross-cultural Studies of Depression among American Indians and Alaska Natives. White Cloud Journal 2:5-12, 1981.
19. Manson SM, Shore JH: Psychiatric Epidemiological Research among American Indians and Alaska Natives: Some Methodological Issues. White Cloud Journal 2:48-56, 1981.
20. Shore JH, Manson SM: American Indian Psychiatric and Social Problems. Transcultural Psychiatric Research Review 20:159-180, 1983.
21. Shore JH, Manson SM, Bloom JD, Keepers G, Neligh G: A Pilot Study of Depression among American Indians with Research Diagnostic Criteria. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research: The Journal of the National Center 1(2):4-15, 1987.
22. Shore JH: Transcultural Research Run Amok or Arctic Hysteria? American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research: The Journal of the National Center 2(3):46-50, 1989.
23. Kinzie JD, Shore JH, et al.: Psychiatric Epidemiology of an Indian Village: A 19-Year Replication Study. J Nervous and Mental Disease 180:33-39, 1992.
24. Leung PK, Kinzie JD, Boehnlein JK, Shore JH: A Prospective Study of the Natural Course of Alcoholism in an Indian Village. J of Studies on Alcohol 54:733-738, 1993.
25. Novins D, Beals J, Shore JH, Manson S: The Substance Abuse Treatment of American Indian Adolescents: Comorbid Symptomatology, Gender Differences, and Treatment Patterns. J Amer Acad Child Adolescent Psychiatry, 35(12):1593-1601, 1996.
26. Gurley D, Novins D, Jones MC, Beals J, Shore JH, Manson SM: Comparative Use of Biomedical Services and Traditional Healing Options by American Indian Veterans. Psychiatric Services 52(1):68-74, 2001.
27. Beals J, Manson SM, Shore JH, Friedman M, Ashcraft M, Fairbank JA, Schlenger WE: The Prevalence of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder among American Indian Vietnam Veterans: Disparities and Context. Journal of Traumatic Stress 15(2):89-97, 2002.