ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS, AND HONORS
Positions and Employment:
University of Oxford, UK - Postdoctoral Fellow, 2000-2003
University of Oxford, UK - Assistant Professor, 2003-2005
University of Oxford, UK - Associate Professor, 2005-2009
NIH, NIMH, Clinical Brain Disorders Branch - Visiting Scientist (adjunct faculty), 2006-2009
NIH, NIMH, Intramural Research Program - Senior Research Scientist, Laboratory Head, 2009-2012
Adjunct Faculty, Lieber Institute for Brain Development, 2013-current
University of Colorado-Anschutz Medical Campus:
Professor of Psychiatry, Dr. Nancy Gary Chair in Children’s Mental Disorders Research, 2012-current
Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, 2012-current
Director, Neurodevelopmental and Neuropsychiatric Genetics Lab
I am Graduate Training faculty on the following programs:
Honors and Awards:
Young Scientist Award, presented at the 10th Biennial Schizophrenia Meeting, 2000
Young Scientist Award, presented at the 11th Biennial Schizophrenia Meeting, 2002
New York Academy of Sciences Travel Award, 2003
Young Scientist Award (presented by International Congress on Schizophrenia Research), 2003
Eli Lilly Fellowship (presented by Society of Biological Psychiatry), 2004
Astor Travel Fund Award, 2005
NARSAD, Brain Behavior Research Foundation, Young Investigator Award, 2006-2008
American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Travel Award, 2008
Georgetown University School of Medicine, MSc Program. Mentor Recognition Award, 2009
NIH, NIMH Outstanding Achievement, Employee Performance Award, 2010 & 2011
NIMH, NIH Scientific Directors Special Achievement Award 2011
Sidney R. Baer, Jr. Award. Outstanding Research Achievement Prize for Schizophrenia Research, Brain and Behavior Research Foundation, 2012
- Course Director and Instructor, PGY-IV Psychiatry Residency, Advanced Psychopharmacology. University of Colorado, Denver, School of Medicine. (2014-current)
- Pharmacology Graduate Course, PHCL 7620. Neuropharmacology of antipsychotic drugs, University of Colorado, Denver, School of Medicine. (2014-current)
- Cell Biology, Stem Cell and Development Program. Graduate Program, University of Colorado, Denver, School of Medicine. Curriculum Committee. (2013-current)
- Human Medical Genetics and Genomics Program. Graduate Program, University of Colorado, Denver, School of Medicine. Prelim Exam Committee. (2012-current)
- Developmental Psychobiology Research Group (DPRG). Faculty. Training Faculty for T32 NIH training program University of Colorado, Denver, School of Medicine. (2012-currrent)
- Essentials Core Curriculum, Nervous System Block. MD Program, University of Colorado, School of Medicine. (2013-current)
- Course Director. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Course (CSHL): Schizophrenia and related disorders (June 9 - 15, 2010)
- Course Director. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Course (CSHL): Schizophrenia and related disorders (June 6 - 12 2012)
- Lecturer, Neuroanatomy (Schizophrenia series). St Georges Medical School, University of London, UK (2003-2006)
- Senior Instructor (Human Anatomy RSM BIOL20912; Anatomical Sciences and Life Sciences and SOM), University of Manchester, UK (1997-2000)
- Course instructor (Cell Biology RSM BIOL20322; Biomedical Sciences and Life Sciences), University of Manchester, UK (1997-2000)
NIH, Teaching and Training:
University of Colorado, PhD Thesis Director and Supervisor (2014-current)
NIMH, NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Research Fellow and Postbac IRTA training programs: Research Preceptor and supervisor (2009-2012)
MSc in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Program; Georgetown University School of Medicine. Research Preceptor and supervisor; (2009-2012)
Howard Hughes Medical Institute/NIH Fellow Program. Research Preceptor and supervisor (2008-2012)
NIH summer internship program. Research Preceptor and supervisor (2006-current)
PhD Thesis Director and Co-Supervisor, University of Oxford. (2006-2009)
SCHOLARSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications (since 2010):
1. D Arabadzisz, R, Diaz-Heitjz, I Knuesel, E Weber, S Pilloud, A, Dettling-Artho, J Feldon, AJ Law, PJ Harrison, and C R. Pryce. Primate Early Life Stress Leads to Long-Term Mild Hippocampal Decreases in Corticosteroid Receptor Expression. Biol Psychiatry. 2010; Jun 1;67(11):1106-9
2. W Tan, M Dean and AJ Law*. Molecular cloning and characterization of the human ErbB4 gene: Identification of novel splice isoforms in the developing and adult brain. PLoS One. 2010; 5 (9) e12924
3. Nicodemus, K.K., Law, A.J., Radulescu,E, Luna, A, Kolachana, B, Vakkalanka R, Rujescu, D, Giegling, R, Straub, R.E., McGee, K, Gold, B, Dean, M, Muglia, P, Callicott, J.H, Tan, H-Y, Weinberger D.R. (2010). NRG1, ERBB4 and AKT1 Epistasis Increases Schizophrenia Risk and is Biologically Validated via Functional Neuroimaging in Healthy Controls. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67(10):991-1001
4. JE Kleinman, AJ. Law, BK. Lipska, TM. Hyde, JK. Ellis, PJ. Harrison and DR. Weinberger. Genetic Neuropathology of Schizophrenia: New Approaches to an Old Question, and New Uses for Post Mortem Human Brains. Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 69(2):140-5
5. WT Kao; Y Wang; JE. Kleinman; BK. Lipska; TM. Hyde; DR. Weinberger and AJ Law*. Common genetic variation in Neuregulin 3 (NRG3) influences risk for schizophrenia and impacts NRG3 expression in human brain. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 2010; Aug 31;107(35):15619-24
6. T Hyde, B Lipska, T Ali, S Mathew, AJ Law, O Metitiri, R Straub, T Ye, C Colantuoni, M Herman, L Bigelow, D Weinberger, and J Kleinman. Expression of GABA signaling molecules KCC2, NKCC1, and GAD1 in cortical development and schizophrenia. J Neurosci. 2011; Jul 27;31(30):11088-95
7. Marenco S; Geramita M; Willem van der Veen J; Barnett AS; Kolachana B; Shen J; Weinberger DR and AJ Law.* Genetic association of ErbB4 and Human Cortical GABA levels in-vivo. J Neurosci. 2011; Aug 10;31(32):11628-32
8. Deakin IH, Law AJ, Nissen W, Schwab M, Nave K-A, Lamsa K, Paulsen O, Bannerman DM, Harrison PJ. Transgenic over-expression of the type I isoform of neuregulin 1 (NRG1) affects working memory and hippocampal oscillations but not long term potentiation. Cereb Cortex. 2011 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]
9. Marder SR, Roth B, Sullivan PF, Scolnick EM, Nestler EJ, Geyer MA, Welnberger DR, Karayiorgou M, Guidotti A, Gingrich J, Akbarian S, Buchanan RW, Lieberman JA, Conn PJ, Haggarty SJ, Law AJ, Campbell B, Krystal JH, Moghaddam B, Sawa A, Caron MG, George SR, Allen JA, Solis M. Advancing drug discovery for schizophrenia. 2011. Ann N Y Acad Sci. Oct;1236:30-43.
10. AJ Law*; Y Wang Y; Y Sei; KK Nicodemus; RE Straub; PJ Harrison; F Sambataro R Vakkalanka; BK Lipska; TM Hyde; JE Kleinman; and DR Weinberger. NRG1-ErbB4-p110δ signaling in schizophrenia and evidence of p110δ inhibition as a potential therapeutic strategy. 2012 Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Jul 24;109(30):12165-70. Epub 2012 Jun 11.
11. Law AJ*, Gothelf D*, Frisch A, Chen J, Zarchi O,
Michaelovsky E, Ren-Patterson R, Lipska BK, Carmel M, Kolachana B,
Weizman A, Weinberger DR.Biological Effects of COMT Haplotypes and Psychosis Risk in 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome. Biol Psychiatry. 2013 Aug 27. [Epub ahead of print]
12. Tost, H, Callicott, JH, Rasetti, R, Vakkalanka, R , Mattay, VS, Weinberger, DR, Law AJ*.Effects of Neuregulin 3 (NRG3) genotype on prefrontal cortex physiology. J Neurosci. 2014 Jan 15;34(3).
13. Law AJ. Genetic mouse models of neuregulin 1: gene dosage effects, isoform-specific functions, and relevance to schizophrenia. Biological psychiatry. 2014; 76(2):89-90.
14. Jenkins A, Apud JA, Zhang F, Decot H, Weinberger DR, Law AJ.Identification of candidate single-nucleotide polymorphisms in NRXN1 related to antipsychotic treatment response in patients with schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014; 39(9):2170-8.
15. Paterson C, Wang Y, Kleinman JE, Law AJ.Effects of schizophrenia risk variation in the NRG1 gene on NRG1-IV splicing during fetal and early postnatal human neocortical development. The American Journal of Psychiatry. 2014; 171(9):979-89.
16. Jenkins AK, Paterson C, Wang Y, Hyde TM, Kleinman JE, Law AJ.Neurexin 1 (NRXN1) splice isoform expression during human neocortical development and aging. Mol Psychiatry. 2015 Jul 28. doi: 10.1038/mp.2015.107. [Epub ahead of print]
Grants and Scholarships:
(2014-2019) NIH, NIMH (PI). 5R01MH103716-01A2. Targets for Treating Schizophrenia: AKT in Neurodevelopment and Cognition
(2012-2015) NIH, NIMH, Conte Centre Grant. P50MH086383.
(Project PI) Basic to Clinical Molecular Neurobiology of Nicotinic
Receptors in Schizophrenia
(2012) Sidney R. Baer, Jr. Research Award, Brain and Behavior Research Foundation
(2006-2008) NARSAD Young Investigator Award (PI):
Molecular and Functional Characterization of Type IV Neuregulin 1, a
novel isoform associated with genetic risk for schizophrenia
(2006-2008) NARSAD Young Investigator Grant. Foundation (PI)
(2005-2009) Medical Research Council, UK. Career Development
Award (PI): Neuregulin-1: Dissecting the Molecular Mechanisms of
Genetic Susceptibility for Schizophrenia.
(2003-2005) Wellcome Trust Project Grant (Leading Research Scientist): Investigating the Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology of a Non-Human Primate Model of Early Life Stress (University of Oxford, Prof. Paul Harrison (PI)).
(1997-2000) Medical Research Council, UK. PhD Scholarship.