ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS, AND HONORS
Positions and Employment:
1993 – present, Director, Eating Disorder Treatment Program, The Children’s Hospital
1993 – 1997 Medical Director, Adolescent Medical – Psychiatric Unit, TCH
1997 – 2000 Medical Director, Child and Adolescent Inpatient Services, TCH
1995 – 2005 Medical Director of Clinical Services, Psychiatry, TCH
1993 – 2000 Assistant Professor of Psychiatry UCHSC
2000 – present Associate Professor of Psychiatry, UCHSC
President, CCAPS 1998-1999
President, Eating Disorder Professionals of Colorado 1998-1999
Woman of Distinction, Mile High Council- Girl Scouts October 2003
Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association May 2003
Recognized as a “Top Doc” in Pediatric Psychopharmacology
Denver’s 5280 Magazine
President CPS 2008 – present (2 consecutive terms)
Chair, CPS legislative Committee 2003 – present
Dane Prugh Teaching Award, UCHSC, Academic Year 2000 – 2001
Foundations of Doctoring Mentor 2007-2009
Selected as Key note speaker for the North American Leadership Conference (NALC) - June 2008
I have been teaching and supervising residents since coming to the department in 1993. This includes developing the resident and medical student rotations at Children’s Hospital. I supervise residents in inpatient and outpatient levels of care, and on the CL service.
I also teach in seminars and give lectures on campus and in the community
I currently provide direct clinical care to children, adolescents and families in the eating disorder program. I have provided direct clinical service in all areas of the department over the past 16 years.
Scholarships and Publications:
1. Gene expression for glutamic acid decarboxylase is reduced without loss of neurons in prefrontal cortex of schizophernics. Akbarian S, Kim JJ, Potkin SG, Hagman JO, Tafazolli A, Bunney WE, Jones, EG. Arch Gen Psychiatry Vol.. 52 (4): 258-266, 1995.
2. A psychological “sense of control” profile of patients with anorexia and bulimia nervosa Shapiro, D.M., Blinder, B.J., Hagman J., Pituck S. Psychological Reports, 1993. 531-546.
3. Akbarian, S., Bunney WE Jr., Potkin SG, Potkin, SC, Hagman, JO, Sandman, CS, and Jones, EG: Altered distribution of NADPH – diaphorase cells in frontal lobe of schizophrenics implies disturbances of cortical development. Archives of General Psychiatry 50 (3) 169-177, 1993.
4. Hagman J, Buchsbaum MD, Wood R, Tallal TP, Flowers L, Katz W, Cerebral brain metabolism in adult dyslexic subjects assessed with positron emission tomography during performance of an auditory task. Archives of Neurology, 1992;49:734-739.
5. Hagman J, Buchsbaum MS, Wu JC, Rao SJ, Reynolds CA, Blinder, BJ: Comparison of cerebral brain metabolism in bulimia nervosa and major affective disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders 19: 153 – 162, 1990.
6. Wu JC, Hagman JO, Buchsbaum MS, Blinder BJ, Derfler M, Tai W, Hazlett E: “Greater left cerebral hemispheric metabolism in bulimia assessed positron emission tomography. “American Journal of Psychiatry 147: 309 – 312, 1990.
7. Rice DM, Buchsbaum MS, Starr A, Auslander L, Hagman J, Evans WJI: Abnormal EEG slow activity in Left Temporal areas in Senile dementia of the Alzheimer Type.
8. Journal of Gerontology 45 (4): 145 – 151, 1990.
9. Hagman J, Line F, Mutalipassi R, Bodfish R: PRN, who decides? Hospital and Clinical Psychiatry 41 (5): 567, 1990.
10. Blinder BJ, Hagman J: “serum salivary isoamylase levels in patients with bulimia” Hillside Journal of Psychiatry 8 (2): 152 – 163, 1986.
11. Blinder BJ, Chaitin B, Hagman J: “Two Diagnostic Correlates of Dexamethasone nonsuppression in normal weight bulimia” Hillside Journal of Psychiatry 9 (2): 211 – 216, 1987.
12. Stafford, B, Hagman J, Dech B. Psychosocial aspects of pediatrics and child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. Chapter 6 in Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment. Hay et al. Editors. 19th, 2009
13. Hagman J and Dech B: Psychosocial aspects of pediatrics and child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. Chapter 6 in Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment. Hay et al. Editors. 18th edition 2006
14. Hagman J, Bechtold D: Psychosocial aspects of pediatrics and child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. Chapter 6 in Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment. Hay et al. Editors. 17th edition 2004, 16th edition published 2002, 17th edition, published 2004.
15. Hagman J: The Diagnosis and Treatment of Depression by Pediatricians. Adolescent Health Update. Pediatrics June 2001.
16. Hagman J: Brain Imaging and Eating Disorders. Chapter in: “The Biology of Feast of Famine”Ed.By H. Anderson and S. Kennedy. Academic Press 1992 , pp 285-297.
17. Goodman S, Blinder BJ, Chaitin BF, Hagman J: Atypical Eating Disorders. Chapter in “The eating disorders.” Ed. By Blinder, Chaitin and Goldstein. PMA publishing Corp NY, 1988.
18. Johnson CJ, Lewis C, Hagman J: “The syndrome of bulimia.” Psychiatric Clinics of North America 7(2): 247 – 273, 1984.
Hagman J: The Diagnosis and Treatment of Depression by Pediatricians. Adolescent Health Update. Pediatrics June 2001.
Balentine J, Hagman J.: More on Melatonin. Letter to the Editor, J Am Acad Child &
Adolescent Psychiatry, page 1013, 36:8, 1997
Hagman J: Brain Imaging and Eating Disorders. Chapter in: “The Biology of Feast of Famine” Ed.By H. Anderson and S. Kennedy. Academic Press 1992 , pp 285-297.
Goodman S, Blinder BJ, Chaitin BF, Hagman J: Atypical Eating Disorders. Chapter in “The eating disorders.” Ed. By Blinder, Chaitin and Goldstein. PMA publishing Corp NY, 1988.
19. A double-blind, placebo controlled study of risperidone for the treatment of anorexia nervosa. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Poster Presentation: Honolulu Hawaii, October, 2009
20. Frank, GKW, Jappe LM, Shott M, Hagman J, Pryor T (2008) Taste reward and monetary reward learning and brain response in underweight subjects with AN. Poster at DPRG bi-annual meeting, Estes Park CO 2008
21. Frank, GKW, Kazulouski D, Rollin M, Jappe LM, Hagman J: Altered Brain White matter integrity in AN. Poster session presented at the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Honolulu Hawaii 2009.
22. Validation of the Ease of Eating Scale. Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, San Diego, California October 2006
23. Validation of the Ease of Eating Scale for Anorexia Nervosa. Poster Presentation at the Academy of Eating Disorders, Barcelona Spain June 2006
24. Incidence of Self-Injurious Behavior in Eating Disorder Patients, Poster, AED annual meeting, Denver Colorado, May 2003 (Robinson, Jackson, Hagman)
Grants and Contracts:
Recently completed a double blind study which was funded through the CTRC and an investigator – Initiated grant from Ortho-McNeil Janssen Scientific Division, and a small grant from DPEF. Funding included part time salary for a PRA for 3 years, but no funding for the PI (Hagman)